Hair type and some advice please

PeshlakaiPeshlakai Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 4 Curl Neophyte
this is my boyfriends head of hair and Ive been trying to figure out its features and how to treat it, but hes starting to consider a relaxer. I know he’ll dislike it and his hair is already pretty dry! Ive used mousses and gels as well as leave ins from proclaim,  maui moisture, and shea moisture. Itll work while his hair is damp but as soon as it dries it just floofs and tangles around itself. He likes to keep it braided because of this and he wears hats often which causes some dandruff and dryness. 

Best Answer

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    His hair may be sensitive to shea butter. Shea butter makes some people's hair dry, coated, and poofy. I would try some products without shea butter (or that have shea butter very low on the ingredients list) and see what happens.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Answers

• CurledvinesCurledvines Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 60 Curl Connoisseur
    Can you write more about what else he does to his hair? Shampoo/conditioner/other products, how he washes. And how often his hair is trimmed, when was last haircut taking out 1 inch or more, and whether he gets a cut in a straight hair place or from someone who cuts curly hair dry.

2C/3A long hair with some 3C thrown in
    High Porosity, dense, coarse hair
    I make my own protein masks
  • PeshlakaiPeshlakai Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 4 Curl Neophyte
    Well Im usually the one washing it, I use the proclaim shea butter shampoo just to get some of the waxy dandruff builup off n then soak it while I comb it out for an hour or however long it takes to get most the tangles out n then I put a mixture of maui moister leave in cream and the proclaim shea butter leave in conditioner and get the rest of the tangles. He usually asks me to braid it before it gets too dry and poofy to part. I trimmed his hair a bit less than an inch while wet because he refuses to cut it at all until a certain point, I think a weight goal. 
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    When you say you "soak" the hair while you detangle it, what is the hair soaking in?
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Just the proclaim conditioner and some water, it soaks in halves cause I have to section it to brush it
    Therese1 said:
    His hair may be sensitive to shea butter. Shea butter makes some people's hair dry, coated, and poofy. I would try some products without shea butter (or that have shea butter very low on the ingredients list) and see what happens.
    Oh ok, thank you! I feel kinda dumb now for using mostly shes butter products lol
  • StillunsureonmycurltypeStillunsureonmycurltype Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 92 Curl Connoisseur
    Have you ever tried shingling or finger coiling his hair with a leave in + gel, or just a leave in? It defines hair really nicely and usually they stay in place until dry unless you irritate the curl pattern while drying. Wavy/ Curly/ Coily Hair can be finicky at times!

Also, his hair may be a little too dense for mousses and may need more than just a leave in for moisture. Mousses give light hold. Maybe another cream (Curling cream) after the leave in (cream Based), a little Oil then a Gel. Also working in sections.

Hm, now I don’t know if that would weigh his hair down, whenever I recommend my layering process most tell me that their hair gets weighed down even if our hair looks the same, so take it with caution and experiment if you need more of one or the other, or both! And I do the raking and the sandwich/ praying hands method when doing my hair during the styling portion as using a detangling tool completely disrupts the curl pattern. So detangled hair at the conditioning step ensures a smooth styling.

What’s his protein to Moisture balance?
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Peshlakai said:
    Therese1 said:
    Oh ok, thank you! I feel kinda dumb now for using mostly shes butter products lol
    No need to feel that way! :) This happens to a lot of people, actually. 
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    You mention you brush his hair..... consider using a wide-toothed comb instead of a brush. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file