How short does 3a hair have to be in order to get root curl?

curlyprincess8curlyprincess8 Posts: 42Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I have fine, 3a hair and I'm getting a Deva cut in a week and would love it if the shortest layers could be curly at the roots with the right products and styling, but I still want to be able to pull most of my hair back. So how short does my hair have to be in order to get root curl? 
Probably 3A. Fine. Normal Porosity. Medium or High Density
Current Products I Use:
Suave Essentials Tropical Coconut Conditioner
GVP Conditioning Balm
Cantu Curl Activating Cream
Kinky Curly Curling Custard
LA Looks Nutra Curl Gel

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I think that's something that's going to vary on the individual.  Some hair will get curlier as it gets shorter, but some hair will only curl when it's longer.  Some hair will naturally be very curly near the roots, and some hair won't.  It also depends a lot on techniques.  I get more root curl when I do everything upside down. 

Ask your stylist when you go.  She won't know for sure unless she's seen your hair cut short, but she can make a better guess than we can.  And good luck with the cut!  I hope it turns out great!
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • guthak01guthak01 Posts: 195Registered Users Curl Novice
    My hair gets curlier with less weight. I had a lob before that when stretched hit my collar bone. I got great root curl, but right now I have BSL hair and few layers. I am getting my hair cut this monday and I am asking for lots of layers to perk up my hair. 

Moral of the story though: you probably won't know what's best for your hair until you try it out. If short layers don't do anything for you, they will grow out again. 
    3a/3b, Low porosity, Medium Density
    Low-poo: Devacurl Low Poo
    RO: GVP Conditioning Balm
    Leave-in: Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Styler: Cantu Curl Activating Cream, LALSG, Pantene Curl Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file