Half asian/caucasian girl with wavy/straight hair - need help

OrathaiOrathai Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hello ! :)

My name is Orathai and I'm a mixed girl, half asian/caucasian. My mom has 2c/3a kind of hair and my father has straight hair.

It took me 23 years to figure out I had wavy hair and not straight/puffy/frizzy weird hair like I though I had during all those years...
I have always struggled with my hair !

I'm really new to the CG community. I learnt about it yesterday but I'm ready to embrace my natural hair and I can't wait to have nice waves !

I have a lot of questions : about my hair type, and about what product to use on my hair.

I have trouble figuring out my hair type, because it is both straight and wavy (I'll put some pictures of my hair for you to see).
I think I'm a 2a/2b. Like you can see on the pictures, the hair on the top of my head is quite straight and it goes down wavy.
I have a lot of frizz and my curl pattern has not enough definition. I think the bottom part of my hair tends to be quite dry, but the top of my head is more oily. 

I know all the basics of the CG method (like not using sulfates and silicones, no brushing, etc) but I really don't know anything about hair products. I heard Devacurl is a good brand but there are a lot of products to choose from and I don't know what to try. 

I would love some recommendations and tips to take care of my hair. Thank you very much.

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It looks 2a. For you, id sugest kighter products based on your curl pattern. As far as products, get something within your budget. There's an interview with Lorraine Massey on naturally curly home page today. In it, she suggest three basins, cleanse, condition, and style.
  • OrathaiOrathai Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thank you for your answer. I'm gonna read that article.

Another question : can you recommend me some curly friendly brands ? I only know DevaCurl and Shea Moisture. DevaCurl prices seems a bit high but if it is worth the price I'll definitively try it !
    I like the as I am leave in. Light weight. Kinky curly knot today is a good leave in if your hair is prone to tangles. I like the Shea Moisture shampoos and conditioners and marques but I would avoid their styling products because they are a bit heavy and generally not the best. If you find you need hold, try la looks sport gel or eco styling argan oil gel. There are plenty of drugstore options as well. The true by made beautiful brand has some good products as well. Their intensive treatment is great.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I agree that your hair looks like 2a right now. Once you work on technique and find products you like, you could well tighten your wave.

I tend to use products that are more on the natural side (see my signature), so they're not necessarily readily available. If you want to try DevaCurl, you could buy it at Ulta or a similar place, because you can return it if it doesn't work for you. I think that Deva has some trial-sized product kits.

Since you have fine hair, I think it would be helpful for you to use a sulfate-free shampoo rather than co-wash. Co-washing tends to weigh down fine hair. Fine hair also often benefits from a periodic cleansing with a sulfate shampoo to remove build-up (if your hair is prone to getting build-up).

Your curl definition will be helped by a hard-hold gel. I have used the Kenra firm-hold gel (the regular one, not the curly one) and have had good luck with it.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Thank you both for your answers ! This is very helpful. 

Your advice is spot on because I did one co-wash on my hair two days ago and I can feel that my hair is kinda heavy/greasy on my scalp, however the rest of my hair seems to like the moisture very much.

I'm not in the US so I can't try the DevaCurl trial-sized products, but I think I can get a vast majority of products online.

How do you know if your hair has build-up ? Thank you !
    My hair gets super tangly when I have build up. It also gets really dry and frizzy. Others report a coating or waxy feel on their hair though I never have. Basically if your hair is doing well then suddenly isn't, you may have build up.
    Ok I will keep that in mind. I hope I'll be able to share an after picture with beautiful waves in a few weeks/months !

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file