Olaplex deliberately misleading consumers

CurlyLiliCurlyLili Posts: 69Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
It has come to my attention, that Olaplex company is dishonest about the characteristics of the ingredients in their no. 4&5 (shampoo and conditioner). They are claiming all of the (numerous) silicones in those two products are water soluble (therefore cgm friendly) and will not cause buildup on hair, which could not be further from truth. They insist on those false claims even when they are presented with evidence proving otherwise. They, Olaplex company, and their "ambassadors" (hairstylists promoting their products) have been doing so on Facebook, Instagram and their websites live support.  
Please don't trust manufacturers and hairstylists when it comes to information about product ingredients. Always do your own research. Some reliable places to do so: https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/silicone-ingredient-solubility-list.htmlhttp://www.saapedia.org/en/
I would also encourage you to report this kind of malpractice to Consumer protection agencies and/or other authorities.  

Type: 3a/3b
Hair strand thickness: medium/coarse
Density: thick
Porosity: low at roots/normal mid-shaft/high at ends
Sensitivity to protein: no

Cleanse: DC Low-poo
Clarify: Build up buster, Malibu-C Un do goo
DT: DC Melt into moisture, Curly Hair Solutions Pure Silk Protein Treatment, occasional fermented rice water
Condition: DC One Condition Original and One Condition Decadence
Style: DC ArcAngel, DC UDG, Curl Keeper Original, Jessicurl Confident coils, Spiralicious, Deva B'leave in

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Ok. I suddenly have a lot of thoughts about Jeff. What VP of sales gets into a disagreement with customers on Facebook? When presented with the info, pass along to your marketing. Do not engage and claim your sources are better than your customer's. If you feel you must respond, say "I am unsure of her information but will further look into it. In the meantime, we stand by our product and its claims. We would be delighted if you tried our product and let us know your thoughts. Thank you for your interest."
    Also, do not trust product claims. No sulfates does not mean it does not contain harsh ingredients. I once saw a product marketed as low sulfate. Second ingredient behind water, a sulfate.
    Any chemist will tell you that silicone are sometimes used to make the product feel rich and luxurious. I don't understand Jeff and his water as an ingredient equals water soluble. I hope he learns a bit more about the product he is selling. Most likely the no build up claim came from marketing and not necessarily their chemists.
    Olaplex has recently gained a lot of competition. When they launched the shampoo and conditioner, I thought that it is a way to get more revenue by using their name since they do have more competitors now. In reality, they probably are not the best in terms of quality since I imagine it was semi rushed.
    Also, Olaplex, if you'd like to hire me as your PR person instead of lone wolf Jeff, I do like my job but I'm willing to chat.
  • CurlyLiliCurlyLili Posts: 69Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I completely agree with you, @BrittanyM. That question about "how is it in water, if it's not water soluble" proved he has no idea about hair product ingredients. 
    Type: 3a/3b
    Hair strand thickness: medium/coarse
    Density: thick
    Porosity: low at roots/normal mid-shaft/high at ends
    Sensitivity to protein: no

Cleanse: DC Low-poo
    Clarify: Build up buster, Malibu-C Un do goo
    DT: DC Melt into moisture, Curly Hair Solutions Pure Silk Protein Treatment, occasional fermented rice water
    Condition: DC One Condition Original and One Condition Decadence
    Style: DC ArcAngel, DC UDG, Curl Keeper Original, Jessicurl Confident coils, Spiralicious, Deva B'leave in

• StillunsureonmycurltypeStillunsureonmycurltype Posts: 92Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Although I do believe that this supposed VP of Olaplex has no idea whatsoever as to what he’s talking about, there is that thing that silicones supposedly can’t  be removed unless they use a sulfate which I hope would change with many people.

Not assuming or claiming you, the OP, does not know their ingredients, but this silicone thing is getting polarizing at times when a simple wash from a cleanser like Blueberry Bliss Hair Wash, Low-Poo by Devacurl, or Shea Moisture Manila Honey and Yogurt Shampoo can remove most if not all silicones. 

I, however, feel like the CG method should be strongly recommended during their transitioning but after they should experiment to see how it works, some formulations with silicones work and others with the same silicone will not work.

Its just my mini rant on this silicone business, which again is really polarizing with the CG method.
    edited August 2018
    I unfortunately have to disagree with you on the silicones being removed by low poo. I do know that some people experience this, and some swear cocamidopropyl betaine will remove silicones including dimethicone. However I know that for my hair this is most definitely not the case. When I first started I was accidentally using silicones. Had build up. Bought low poo clarifying shampoo. Nope. Bought a shampoo with cocamidopropyl betaine. Nope. The only thing that solved it was a good old fashion sulfate shampoo. Just food for thought. If low poo were all it took to remove them for everybody, I think more people would use stylers with silicones.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,977Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I agree with @BrittanyM.  I used Deva Low Poo for several months and still had to clarify weekly, even though I was avoiding silicones.  If it can't even remove CG products, how is it going to remove non-water soluble ingredients? 

Cocamidopropyl betaine alone may remove silicones, but the formula it's in may affect its effectiveness.  It could be that there's simply not enough in some shampoos to work effectively.  I'm not a chemist or a scientist of any kind, so that's just my theory.  But I've had experience with this particular shampoo and I know it's not cleansing enough for my hair, and certainly won't remove oils, polyquats or silicones.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • VXOVXO Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited August 2018
    Edit: I decided to try it since it was already shipped. It doesn't seem to have the same effect as other silicones for me. With other products my hair gets sticky and dry after 24h. 
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,560Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I agree that everyone should use what works for their hair, including silicones, but like @BrittanyM and @Guide 65, I find that low poos do not remove silicones for me. Cocamidopropyl betaine doesn't work either. Only a sulfate does the job on my hair. And like @Guide 65, I get build-up even from CG-approved products.

I do agree that people can get overly upset about silicones, but if a company is going to market a product as silicone free, it needs to be free of silicones. 
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • StillunsureonmycurltypeStillunsureonmycurltype Posts: 92Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Now, I’m not saying this will be the case for everyone as not all hair responds the same. My hair for example can get rid of silicones with Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, better than Cocamidopropyl Betaine.... at times. That IS when I do use a product that has a non-buildup silicone. However, I do get acute(?) polyquat buildup, and when I do get to a buildup point I start to experience what my doesn’t experience with protein generally. 

My mother who swears by Lowpoo gets a filmy residue from silicones and likes the feel (I don’t know why), but removes them with LowPoo and it works for her. She styles with Carol’s Daughter Praxaci Nextar Leave in btw.

I still do follow the CG method, not due to better cause, but for being practical. I’m finding more products that are marketed for curly hair to be just CG friendly, and vegan, organic, cruelty free etc. 
  • AliceGAliceG Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I can't seem to log in under my own account that I just signed up for, but my experience with using Olaplex 3 on my hair multiple times after 2 attempts at highlighting at home followed by one attempt to dye it back to natural color, was that it seems to have straightened my hair. Granted, what I did was to use the Olaplex as an overnight deep conditioner, and/or a leave in while wearing my hair in a ponytail, then wash it out 12-24 hours later. But my hair has gone from being a 3b to being a 2a - barely a 2a. The ends will get a little wavy if I scrunch them, but next day hair is almost straight. If I brush it, then twist up the ends against my shoulders I will get a little curl at the end but that's it.
    Olaplex isn’t a miracle. It could be the damage from the highlighting Andy then dyeing it back that could have caused the straight bits.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file