Unclumped, frizzy, dry curls from Day 2

Raashi09Raashi09 Posts: 9Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited August 2018 in Hair Type 3
Hi, I have 3b curls and have been following LOC method since last 8 months. I have extremely dry, frizzy hair. I wash/ co wash my hair every 3-4 days (no sulphates/ silicones) with shea moisture/ deva curl and then condition (maui/devacurl), use leave in(blueberry bliss), oil (jojoba), gel(moptop custard/ DC ultra defining). Then plop with cotton tshirt and air dry

After all this the definition and bounce stays for just a day. From day some clumps (mostly the top layer) starts to unclump and frizz up, making my hair look so poofy that I end up tying them up. Weather at my location is hot (35-40 deg) and dry. 
Because of this my curls dont flow/ bounce, they look
messy as the frizz gets them to look undefined and since I have medium length hair, they become stiff giving a cone hair shape

I also deep condition with heaven in hair atleast once a week

I refresh my curls every day with a spray mix of water, leave in, and use some gel on too. This makes my hair look somewhat presentable but only for a few
hours.
By day 3 most top layer and some bottom ones get so poofy, it looks like someone has dry combed over them (which i never never do)

what am i doing wrong?

Best Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Welcome!  You've got some great curls there!

I would suggest using more leave in conditioner on day 1, and refreshing with your water mixture more often.  You can remoisturize at night before bed, and even during the day.  Try to find a little purse size spray bottle so you can refresh when you need to.

What products do you use now?  We may be able to come up with more moisturizing stuff.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Hmm, you hadn't mentioned ACV earlier.  The acid in the vinegar could be hurting rather than helping your hair.

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/07/ph-and-your-hair-little-redox-to-make.html

Do you live in a hard water area.  That can also be a problem that causes build up:

https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/search?q=hard+water

2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    @Raashi09 I have 3c, fine, high porosity, very dry curls and was having the same issue as you. I would refresh on day 2 with a little water mixed with a leave in conditioner and aloe, then follow up with a little gel and a little coconut oil to seal. A few hours later, my hair would look fuzzy/frizzy. Recently, I've started adding a curl cream after the gel to my refresher and it has done wonders for me. Maybe try that? I use Maui Moisture curl smoothie and it smells amazing and it's pretty thick and creamy, so a little goes on a long way! Hope this helps! 

Answers

• BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'd also ask what is your porosity, and also is your hair possibly fine or coarse? Another thought, have your tried changing up the LOC method to LCO? Sometimes that works better.
  • Raashi09Raashi09 Posts: 9Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited August 2018
    Thanks @guide65 😊. I tried the night time Moisturizing on damp hair, then plopped overnight. It did work on the softness of my hair, they feel so much better to touch 

But, is it healthy to sleep with damp hair every night? Also, my scalp is smelling funny, like a damp cloth. 
    Also, it is not solving the frizz issue (refer image) such hair separating out   from the clumps happens from roots to tips 😞

products that I am using now:
    Shampoo - shea moisture daily hydration (once a week) and DC no poo original for the 2nd wash of the week

conditioner- maui for damaged hair / DC one condition original

leave in- curls blueberry bliss

deep condition - DC heaven in hair (once a week)

Oil - jojoba
    gel - moptop curly hair custard / DC ultra defining
    @BeinDeb i am still unsure about the porosity, its difficult to judge that
    but i do have thin coarse hair. 
    Actually sometimes i do LOCO, last layer of light oil i use while breaking the gel cast
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited August 2018
    How much gel do you use?  It may not be enough.  When I had my last hair cut, the stylist showed my how much she uses and it was a lot more than I used.  It made a huge difference.

You could also have buildup, that gives me frizz.  I don't see a clarifying shampoo listed.

2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    Hi @WavyKfromNJ, thank you so much for pointing out
    I use ACV for clean up every 3rd or 4th wash

I believe both moptop custard and DC ultra defining gel work as gels. I use both. More moptop from top to bottom ensuring coverage of each clump and then Little DC gel in upward motion on top layer of hair and hair tips
    you think that works? See i washed my hair last night and the top of my head is already like this, frizz is starting
    @WavyKfromNJ thank you for pointing out, i will try a cleanser instead of acv 
    And yes water is hard around here, I will keep that in mind

@cnic216 thanks for the suggestion. I ordered cantu curl activator creme just today for similar use. You think that could work? 
  • cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    @Raashi09 Yes, I think so! Hope it works! 
  • MareeQiBeeMareeQiBee Posts: 12Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited September 2018
    I'd be careful with the Cantu Curl Activator Cream during dry weather. It's main ingredient is glycerin which could pull the moisture from your hair. If it is humid outside, it actually helps to moisturize your hair.

I have similar hair as you and I love this product during the fall/winter/spring. It's rainy around here during that time. But this summer it's been super dry and hot here; and I used it not thinking about the glycerin. Now I am dealing with terrible hair breakage. I also ran out of my deep conditioner during this time so I'm sure that didn't help my issue.

I wanted to make sure you knew about that ingredient. If it's humid where you are, glycerin shouldn't be a problem.

I'm learning the hard way. I was actually at the beach a few weeks ago where it was quite humid. I used the Cantu Curl Activator Cream and I had amazing curls! Then I continued to use it when I got back to low humidity (hot and dry) so I think it sucked out the moisture from my already dry hair. Now it's weak and brittle. 

I'm trying to figure out how to repair the damage now. 

Best of luck with your hair journey.

BTW, your hair is beautiful!

• DrpjfitzDrpjfitz Posts: 72Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    @Raashi09 I was just looking online at products this evening and was checking out the Moptop Curly Custard. It’s very high in glycerin which is a humectant and attracts moisture. Perhaps this is contributing to your frizz? What about using less of it as your curl enhancer and more of the DC gel?
    3A fine, normal porosity
    No specific products as of yet—still trying to figure out what works for my hair 
    @MareeQiBee heyyy thanks. i didnt notice that. I also get a few months of dry, hot weather in my area, will avoid cantu around that time. 
    @Drpjfitz
    i did not notice this🙈. But moptop gives me the best definition, better than DC. And I agree on the glycerin point too. 
    Dayum, I thought I have atleast one product sorted in my regime... sigh!
    Any suggestions on the glycerine free gels? Other than DC, its too expensive for re-purchase
  • DrpjfitzDrpjfitz Posts: 72Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    @Raashi09 Although I haven’t tried it. A lot of curlies have raved about the Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel because it doesn’t have glycerin. I’m going to try using the Moptop Curling Custard with the Moptop AntiFrizz Medium Hold Gel once I get paid again. I didn’t even know they made it until I saw someone post about it.
    3A fine, normal porosity
    No specific products as of yet—still trying to figure out what works for my hair 
  • CurlyJennyDCurlyJennyD Posts: 25Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Have you tried a protein treatment?  At face value, I have hair similar to yours (although yours is *much* nicer looking.  You have beautiful hair!).  I have similar problems in that I always have extreme frizz at the crown, and I also lose curl definition.  I did a protein treatment this weekend, and my hair is *significantly* improved.  I have very little crown frizz on Day 3 curls right now.  (Previously I never even was able to achieve Day 2 curls.  I get crown frizz immediately upon stepping out of the shower and no amount of product has ever eliminated it.)

Also, do you know your hair's porosity?  My take is that porosity is very significant in figuring things out.  

I did a DIY protein treatment.  Kind folks are trying to help me out on another thread and have suggested something as simple as a rice water treatment:  soak some rice in water; strain out the rice; put the starchy water on your head; leave it for a bit; rinse it out.  Continue with your routine as usual.  I also have read many threads talking about a DIY gelatin treatment.  Perhaps you need some protein on your hair?  
  • cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    If you're looking for glycerin free gels, Camille Rose has 2 - the Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (which I use on refresh days and LOVE because it feels like a very heavy cream so it's moisturizing but has the hold of a gel - use sparingly! A little goes a long way) and the Curl Maker gel (haven't tried this one personally but I want to as pretty much everyone gives this amazing reviews). Curl Junkie also has a couple of glycerin free gels, but these aren't easily available in my area so I haven't tried them. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file