Female Pattern Hair Loss (FPHL) and Curly Hair Journey

CurlyhairnoviceCurlyhairnovice Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
I’m 24 and have been suffering from female pattern hair loss for the past 4 years. I’m on medication and topical minoxidil, but I still feel like my hair thinning has persistently worsened. I’ve decided to start on my Curly Hair journey to salvage the hair I have left. Does anyone have any tips on the routine to follow while using minoxidil everyday since it causes buildup and dandruff. Any advice in general as well on what products to use while starting out. 
Thank you. 2c/3a high porosity, thin, medium hair 

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to CurlTalk!  I'm sorry your hair is thinning.  I don't have much advice for you, other than to make sure you've seen a doctor about it.  I assume you have, since you're on medication.  But has he done blood work on you?  Thyroid issues can cause hair loss, and I think vitamin D deficiency can too.  There are probably other causes as well.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    I'd second what Guide65 said and make sure there's nothing medical going on - 20 seems very young to be starting with fphl. I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions re looking after your hair as I'm in Australia and tend to use Aussie products, though what ever you use be gentle (I'm sure you probably are anyway). I never tried minoxidil (despite it being recommended by a derm), partly because I couldn't get my head around having to use it every day for the rest of my life, and partly because of the issue you have with build up etc. I have psoriasis on my scalp and was worried about making it worse. I was never sure how I'd go unless I washed my hair every day, which is never gonna happen! I hope someone who uses it can chime in and be more helpful. 
    Good luck with it, it really is an unpleasant thing to have to deal with. And welcome!
    3b in South Australia.
  • CurlyhairnoviceCurlyhairnovice Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    Thank you for the welcome guys. Yes, I have been seeing a dermatologist regularly and all of my parameters are under control, but I’m not happy with the texture of my hair and hairfall. Yes, if someone who is using minoxidil and following the curly girl routine could give some advice, it would be awesome! 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file