Opinions on if this is normal

AmyztxAmyztx Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some opinions on this. I have always had very thick hair but until this year i’ve always brushed it out and worn it up in a pony tail. Earlier in the year I decided to embrace my curls and cut it to chin length and now I wear it down and curly. Problem is, lately i’ve noticed that more of my hair has been falling out that normal. I’ve always had a lot of hair come out every time i’ve brushed or showered, but since about May I feel like it’s been more. Also, i’ve noticed that sometimes you can see parts of my scalp near where my hair is clumped. Having never really wore my hair down before i’m not sure if this is normal? Is it just because of my curls clumping, or am I starting to thin so much that i’m getting bald spots. 

I’ve attached some pictures, Having literally never worn my hair down since I can remember I really have no idea if this is normal. I’ve also attached a picture of how much hair is in my sink aifter combing when wet- it’s the same amount every day! Is this a normal amount? Every time I run my fingers through my hair one or two strands come out. What do i do???

Comments

• AnneCuthersAnneCuthers Registered Users Posts: 35 Curl Connoisseur
    Those strands actually look like breakage, so I don't think the hair is coming from the root. Your hair doesn't look thin at all in my opinion. Just make sure you are gentle when you comb your hair and don't put conditioner on your scalp. If you really believe it is shedding and not breakage, I recommend doing a black tea rinse a few times over the course of a month or so. My mom did it and her crown was almost completely bald and now all the hair is back.
    Type 4 hair
    High porosity
    Medium density
    Medium strand thickness

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    That does not seem like an excessive amount to me.

The bald spots on your head just have to do with how the waves are clumping--I get that too.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • AmyztxAmyztx Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks ladies, really appreciate your thoughts! I think maybe just because I am so not used to wearing it down i’m still not sure what is normal for me! 
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    I'd agree, it doesn't look thin to me either, I think it's just the way your hair's curling from the root.
    3b in South Australia.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file