Growing my hair out for close to 7 months and would like tips or suggestions on how to tame?

nick_lonewolfnick_lonewolf Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte

Currently using a Maui line for think and curly hair. Would live to hear feed back. My profile shows the back of my hair.

Best Answer

• nonameslobnonameslob Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
    Accepted Answer
    Honestly, sometimes you just have to suck it up through the awkward stage (sorry!). I'm about two years into growing mine out, and only just recently feeling ok with where I'm at!

But, more realistically, a few things I did to make it go a little easier. Frequent trims and shaping - I know it's scary to lose length when you're growing it out, but a good shape up will help you deal with the awkward stage better. Keep product with you to address any emergencies. Wear hats. Look in the mirror less. Make jokes about your awkward hair stage. B)

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,141Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Looks good!  What frustrates you about your hair now?  What would you like it to do?  And which exact products do you use now?  We can give better suggestions if we know all that.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2C/3A, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • nick_lonewolfnick_lonewolf Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Currently, these are products I've begun to use for about 2 weeks. I started for about the same time air dying and drying with a cotton shirt too.

Shampoo- Maui Moisture Curl Quench and Coconut Oil

Conditioner-Maui Moisture Curl quench and Coconut Oil

Hair Mask- Maui Moisture Heal and hydrate and shea butter

Style- Devacurl light defining gel

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,496Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Welcome.  What do you mean by "tame"?  

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • nick_lonewolfnick_lonewolf Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Tame? Well, I guess it's more cause I'm reaching an awkward stage with my hair and it doesn't look like that everyday due to living in Miami humidity. 
  • beantreesbeantrees Posts: 89Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    If it's getting to an awkward stage, you may want to consider getting a trim (even though you're growing it out).  It probably seems counter intuitive but a small trim, particularly with a good stylist who is aware that you're growing it out, can help keep it more manageable during the growing out process.
    2C/3A, med/coarse, thick density, high porosity - CG since 5/17/2018
    Earlobe length on one side and pixie short in back and other side.  Growing out to chin/jaw length.
    Cleanse: Inecto Coconut Conditioner, SM JBCO shampoo
    RO Condition: Carina Organics Deep Treatment Conditioner
    DT: SM JBCO masque
    LI: SM JBCO leave in
    Stylers: AG Recoil or SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie or SM Curl & Style Milk, Carina Organics gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file