My hair clumps but goes flat??

mixedpowerpuffmixedpowerpuff Curl NeophytePosts: 10Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hey ya'll. So, I'm about 7 months natural from about 9 years of heat relaxer color and bleach damage. I'm trying CGM, but the problem with my hair is that it'll clump into sections (up to 5 ot 6 just at my fringe) but then it wont really curl, it'll twirl about halfway then it won't curl fully (like a 225 out of a 360 rotation). My hair is so dense and coarse, I feel like my hair is too heavy regardless of what product I use. It's really frustrating, and I'm fizz city in a few hours :(( anyone know what's going on??

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Curl Virtuoso Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to CurlTalk!  Can you describe your hair (curl pattern, strand thickness, porosity), and also tell us what your routine and products are now?  It will be easier to help if we know what you're working with.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • mixedpowerpuffmixedpowerpuff Curl Neophyte Posts: 10Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    My curl pattern is 2c/3a, thick strands, and high porosity. Right now I'm trying curly girl method and I'm using cantu coconut curl cream, ogx coconut curls mousse and Eco argan oil gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Curl Virtuoso Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Have you tried deep conditioning?

Do you think it is the heat damage? Did you have the damage cut off? Sometimes people will get the new growth to be curly, but then the hair reverts to wavy or straight down the hair shaft, where the damaged hair is.

Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Curl Virtuoso Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Are you sure your OGX is silicone free?  OGX isn't typically a CG friendly brand.  There might be a couple products we can use, but most are full of silicones.  The Cantu is super heavy.  It may be causing your hair to fall flat.  You might have better results with something lighter, possibly Kinky Curly Curling Custard or Camille Rose curling custard.  If you want to stick with a cream, then Deva styling cream is a lot lighter than Cantu. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Curl Virtuoso Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It could be products. Have your tried clipping? My hair always seems a bit weighed down so I have to clip to keep my roots from being plastered to my head. It also promotes curls to form closer to the roots.
  • mixedpowerpuffmixedpowerpuff Curl Neophyte Posts: 10Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Therese1 said:
    Have you tried deep conditioning?

Do you think it is the heat damage? Did you have the damage cut off? Sometimes people will get the new growth to be curly, but then the hair reverts to wavy or straight down the hair shaft, where the damaged hair is.

I haven't used heat since about march, but I dyed it a few months ago. It could be, but I'm not sure. I deep condition but not technically with a deep conditioner, I usually mix a leave in with an oil. 
    BrittanyM said:
    It could be products. Have your tried clipping? My hair always seems a bit weighed down so I have to clip to keep my roots from being plastered to my head. It also promotes curls to form closer to the roots.
    I just bought some, I found that it didn't last too long. 
    Guide 65 said:
    Are you sure your OGX is silicone free?  OGX isn't typically a CG friendly brand.  There might be a couple products we can use, but most are full of silicones.  The Cantu is super heavy.  It may be causing your hair to fall flat.  You might have better results with something lighter, possibly Kinky Curly Curling Custard or Camille Rose curling custard.  If you want to stick with a cream, then Deva styling cream is a lot lighter than Cantu. 
    I recently tried to switch it up, with camille rose honey leave in, the mousse and eco flaxseed gel. I think my hair feels lighter but still no hold. I've really wanted to try the curling custard but it's on the higher end of prices, I'm a college student and looking for pretty cheap ish products. 
    Guide 65 said:
    I checked the ingredients, the mousse has dimethicone. I find silicones are the most common in products that are cheaper...
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Curl Virtuoso Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    @mixedpowerpuff ,
    I would recommend buying a specific deep conditioner. Leave ins are really light and just oils typically aren't enough on their own. Shea Moisture has some good ones for around 12 dollars or True by Made Beautiful Intenstive Treatment at Sallys runs cheaper than that I believe. (I feel you on the college student thing... I haven't bought any Camille Rose products due to price as well and I'm no longer in college. Haha) Alternatively, use your rinse out with oil. Or your rinse out with honey and aloe vera.
    Definitely continuing clipping. Alternatively when your hair is like 90% dry, use bobby pins to pin your part together. This gets me a bit more volume for longer times.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file