How often should I wash my curls?

bohocurlbohocurl Posts: 5Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I cycle almost every day now and I am trying to figure out how to keep a clean scalp and healthy curls underneath a hat or helmet which is more than often, very sweaty. I've started over-washing my hair. 2-3 times a week. I need help with finding a new regimen for my new active lifestyle.

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 580Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I use low poo once a week. If I need to wash mid week due to smell or oil, I just cowash. Each person in different. Lorraine Massey has a recipe for lavender spray. It could work to run into your scalp to kind of clean the sweat a bit and remove odors. There is also hair fragrances that are CG that could disguise any smells.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,120Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Are you using a sulfate shampoo or sulfate free?  I've had excellent results with Essential Oil Labs Argan Oil Restorative Shampoo.  It's very mild and uses cocamidopropyl betaine to cleanse but even that is not one of the first ingredients.  I have a shallow plastic dish and I fill it partially with water and use 2-3 pumps of the Restorative Shampoo in it.  That dilutes the shampoo to make it even milder.
     Whatever you use to cleanse your hair that is a good way to do it, rather than putting a blob of shampoo on one place of your hair and squishing it around.  Also, I bought a hair scalp massager (available cheap on Amazon) that has these soft bristles and I use that to massage the shampoo into my scalp.  It helps avoid too much shampoo on my curls, but effectively massages the shampoo onto my scalp.  Hope that helps!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file