Hair only curls with silicones and when wet

snowpuffssnowpuffs Posts: 23Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
As the title says, my hair loved silicones for having shape and definition but won't curl as easily now that I'm on the curly girl method. I'm going to add jamaican black castor oil to my hair as an experiment in moisturising my very dry hair properly. Before I wasn't adding oil after leave in or before gel since I thought I didn't need it.

It seems my hair gets frizzy easily and loses definition when the water on my haor has dried up. Even making a gel cast didn't work for my type 4 hair.

<br><br>Now I wanted to ask if there were any pieces of advice I should try out for creating curls again apart from use gel and leave in.<br><br><br>

Comments

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 815Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    My favorite trick to help moisturize my hair is to keep a spray bottle with water (or water and a little conditioner) and spritz my hair frequently.  On the weekend almost everytime I am in the bathroom, or near the bathroom I will spritz.  A heavy spritz before bed is important too.

Here is a great article about moisturizing low porosity hair:
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html

2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 578Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    You can use silicone if you like the way your hair looks and feels with them. I gave up sulfate and silicone because I didn't like how they made my hair look and feel. If you use them, just be sure to clarify. How long have you tried the CG method? It could be your hair hasn't reaped the benefit yet.
  • snowpuffssnowpuffs Posts: 23Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    edited July 31
    My favorite trick to help moisturize my hair is to keep a spray bottle with water (or water and a little conditioner) and spritz my hair frequently.  On the weekend almost everytime I am in the bathroom, or near the bathroom I will spritz.  A heavy spritz before bed is important too.

Here is a great article about moisturizing low porosity hair:
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/07/moisturizing-low-porosity-hair.html

My hair takes hours to dry unfortunately. And I do add a lot of water when styling.

I can confirm that As I am Leave in works amazingly well for my hair compared to Shea Moistures products.

I'll keep reading.
    edited July 31
    BrittanyM said:
    You can use silicone if you like the way your hair looks and feels with them. I gave up sulfate and silicone because I didn't like how they made my hair look and feel. If you use them, just be sure to clarify. How long have you tried the CG method? It could be your hair hasn't reaped the benefit yet.
    I started in March but needed a lot of washes to remove the silicones. I also needed to use a curling cream and oil but didn't start until a week ago in that combination.

Not to mention I wasn't stretching my hair or parting as much.

I will say I see a bit of curl today after applying gel, oil and leave in.

If I were to use silicones again what products would you reccomend that have silicones? Or is there a guide I can find?
    I would find someone with your hair type. My hair hates them, but I do know that a few type 4 hair YouTubers use silicone. Just as a thought, are you deep conditioning at least once a week. That alone makes a difference in my curls and whether they frizz or not.
    edited August 1
    BrittanyM said:
    I would find someone with your hair type. My hair hates them, but I do know that a few type 4 hair YouTubers use silicone. Just as a thought, are you deep conditioning at least once a week. That alone makes a difference in my curls and whether they frizz or not.
    I should wash more consistently but I do regularly deep condition. Is the shea moisture Jamaican black castor oil treatment masque any good for that? I also used the raw shea butter masque before and a very intense coconut deep conditioner called 
    BEE•U•TI• FUL MOISTURIZING DEEP CONDITIONER.

I deep conditioned in my wash before my last for an hour but it seems my hair needed to be clarified before I saw any results. I usually deep condition for 25 minutes.
    edited August 1
    I'd also like to add that my hair might be normal porosity but it's a bit tricky to tell.
    I started with that Shea moisture mask. It's good. It actually has a water soluble silicone in it. That whole line does. I stopped buying it because I personally liked the Manuka honey and mafura oil one better but it is still very good and moisturizing.
    BrittanyM said:
    I started with that Shea moisture mask. It's good. It actually has a water soluble silicone in it. That whole line does. I stopped buying it because I personally liked the Manuka honey and mafura oil one better but it is still very good and moisturizing.
    The raw shea butter one?
    I bought it one time. It works but wasn't moisturizing enough as a marque for me. That's just how my hair felt about it. But definitely use it if you've already bought it.
    Am I answering your question? I feel like I'm rambling a bit. Lol. The raw Shea butter one doesn't have silicone in it.
    BrittanyM said:
    Am I answering your question? I feel like I'm rambling a bit. Lol. The raw Shea butter one doesn't have silicone in it.
    I've tried Aunt Jackie's again and my hair is holding up alongside the JBCO. Still wet so I'll update when dry.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file