Do I have product buildup???

CurlyheadAriCurlyheadAri Posts: 1Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi, so about a day ago I decided to deep condition my hair with a  treatment masque , from shea moisture. I left the mask in for about 3 hours before washing it out. I have medium 3b hair so it is on the finer-thiner side. After washing the treatment out, my hair felt soggy and clumped together. I ignored it and the next morning my hair felt very greasy so I just rinsed it and detangled it in the shower without any shampoo or conditioner.  I noticed when my hair dried that my curl pattern was almost gone and my my hair felt dry and weighed down. My hair recently started getting healthy again and I am  freaking  out because I do not know what is wrong with my hair. Someone please help ! :)

Answers

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 818Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Everyone seems to have different symptoms of product build up. It never hurts to occasionally clarify with a sulfate and follow up with a deep conditioner. Try it and see if that helps with the grease and being weighed down.
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I also have fine hair and that sounds like my hair when I have build up.

Many fine haired curlies are not huge fans of Shea Moisture Products, because of the buildup issue.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • CurlyLiliCurlyLili Posts: 64Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Was the treatment you used protein heavy? The symptoms sound like you may have protein overload.
    Type: 3a/3b
    Hair strand thickness: medium/coarse
    Density: thick
    Porosity: low at roots/normal mid-shaft/high at ends
    Sensitivity to protein: no

Cleanse: SM 100% Virgin coconut daily hydration, DC Low-poo
    Clarify: Build up buster, Trepadora Gojiberry Mint Reviving hair rinse
    DT: DC Melt into moisture, SM Manuka honey & Mafura oil, occasional fermented rice water
    Condition: DC One Condition and One Condition Decadence
    Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Style: DC ArcAngel, DC UDG, Curl Keeper Original
    Refresher: diluted conditioner in a spritz bottle

• MamaJTBMamaJTB Posts: 27Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Everyone gets product build up sometimes, no matter what type of hair you have, method you use, etc.  When all else fails to solve my hair problems, I always clarify and that usually does the trick.  

Clarifying does not have to be a dirty word or avoided act!  It also does not mean having to use stripping sulfates on your curls.  There are plenty of sulfate free clarifying shampoos out there.  My fave is Ouidad’s Superfruit one.  Sulfate free, safe for color treated hair, and protein free as well.  I have fine hair and am prone to build up.  I always clarify before a deep cond so that my hair can really soak it up, and then as needed whenever it’s wonky.

GL!
    2C/3A, low porosity, thin density, color treated, protein sensitive

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file