How often do you Curlies wash your hair?

hopedarehopedare Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
I have 3B curls and I’m baffled with what’s going to put me on the road to the best hair care routine! I have always used natural products like Shea Moisture as I’m big on no sulphates, etc. But I hear so many stories of shampooing less or adding additional co-washes in to your week, so for me washing more than usual, and I don’t know what to follow. My usual routine is once a week at the moment and I even went through a no shampoo at all phase (just condition).. but now I just want to gather advice on other Curlies tried and tested regimes! Some people shampoo once a week, others once a fortnight.. some people swear by added co-washes too, or co-washing alone for a period of time! 

My future hair goals are to achieve ultimate hair health and added growth, so if anyone has a routine which they feel really helps them, then please help me!  xxx

Best Answer

• klloydmajesticklloydmajestic Registered Users Posts: 183 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    I've been using the CG method for, Idk, somewhere over 10 years maybe? How often I cleanse varies on my circumstances but I try to deep condition once a week (even though deep treatments are *technically* not mentioned as part of the regular routine as laid out in the CG handbook). A good cleansing before deep treatments make them more effective so I usually cleanse then. 

Even though I've been "no-poo" for a long time, we recently moved to an area that has *really* hard water, and even with shower filters I'm having issues. So, I've had to change up my cleansing approach and do more clarifying to deal with the hard water. Other than that part, my routine has basically been the same for years, which is:

Daily: Take my hair down from its pineapple in the morning, dampen using a spray bottle filled with distilled water and a few drops essential oil to refresh. If it needs more restructuring, I'll take some aloe vera gel in the palm of my hand and mix it with some of the water from the spray bottle to dilute, and apply where it's needed. If my hair is feeling more thirsty, I'll use the SheaMoisture curl smoothie instead of the aloe vera gel. 

Once or twice a week: completely wet down hair in shower and cleanse scalp with just my fingers or with a little Vo5 coconut conditioner as a co-wash. Condition and detangle with Jessicurl Too Shea conditioner. Apply aloe vera gel while hair is still soaking wet, then scrunch dry and plop with an old cotton t-shirt. I almost always air dry. Rarely, I will diffuse on low. I don't remember what hair dryer I have, all I know is it was cheap and it fits my DevaCurl finger diffuser! :) 

Weekly (ideally!): pre-poo with Jessicurl stimulating scalp massage oil on scalp and either grapeseed oil or coconut oil on the length of my hair (whichever I happen to have on hand). I let that sit while I make my cleanser (I'm currently experimenting with some homemade recipes). Cleanse, rinse, apply deep treatment, put on shower cap and heated conditioning cap and let it sit for an hour, then rinse and style as usual. 

Hope this helps and I wish you well as you find what works for you! :) 

3b, low porosity, CG method
    BC 6 February 2016 and growing out. . . again!
    current products: 
    • conditioner: Jessicurl Too Shea!
    • pre-poo: grapeseed oil or coconut oil
    • cleanser: currently experimenting with different things
    • deep treatment: Jessicurl Deep Treatment
    • "protein" treatment: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Masque
    • Stylers: Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera gel or SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie

Answers

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,729 Curl Virtuoso

I’ve been CG for 14 years. I don’t use shampoo or low-poo. I like a simple routine with inexpensive, easy to find, products.  My hair is currently at a little below bra-band length when wet. I co-wash 2 or 3 times a week. The other days I just put my hair back in a pony, big clip, or braid. 

I condition wash my hair upside down in the sink (that's how I've washed my hair my whole life). I rinse, add a bunch of conditioner, massage my scalp, and detangle while rinsing. I don't use a leave in unless it's really dry and cold, then I'll add a bit of my regular conditioner or oil to the ends. I add gel to dripping wet hair, scrunch, put hair up in a turban towel and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Then I take it down, put some claw clips on the top to lift it up and add volume, air dry for a half hour or so then diffuse dry and scrunch with my hair upside down for less than 5 minutes, to add volume and finish drying my hair. I use an inexpensive pancake style diffuser (Conair Curl Fusion).

I do a deep treatment once a month or so. Sometimes I run coconut oil through my hair, put it in a braid and leave it in there a few hours or overnight. Or I might mix together some conditioner, oil, and honey, add it to wet hair, put on a plastic shower cap then a turban towel, and let it sit for an hour.  After either type of treatment I rinse, add more conditioner and a vinegar rinse at the same time (1/4 cup vinegar in a big mug of warm water) and detangle well. Then I rinse and do the rest of my usual routine.  

I haven't been in a salon since I was 18 and had a disaster of a pre-senior pic "trim". So I've been cutting my own hair for 40+years. I've cut my hair long, short, pixies, bobs, and everything in between. I use cheap scissors, nothing special. I usually cut it dry, curl by curl, via the Curly Girl method. But sometimes if I just want a quick trim or some layers I cut it wet with all my hair on top of my head in a ponytail.  There are lots of videos using both methods on youtube. There is also some good instruction in the 2nd Curly Girl book (which includes a cd). 

My favorite products are Suave Coconut Conditioner, VO5 Kiwi Lime Conditioner, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar. But I do like to experiment with new things once in awhile, for fun.

--I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    I use low poo once a week followed by deep conditioner. I occasionally cowash and use a rinse out mid week. Once a month, a sulfate followed by deep conditioner. For styling, I use a leave in always followed by a cream and a gel. In the winter, I mix one drop of oil in with my cream. Lighter products in summer, heavier in the winter.
  • yellowmafiayellowmafia Registered Users Posts: 23 Curl Neophyte
    I've been mostly CG for the last 3 years, and I wash my hair every 3 to 4 days.  I alternate between a low poo and a no poo and use a sulfate shampoo once a month to clarify.  I live in Miami, and depending on the weather and my workouts, I might shorten the days between washes.  Hope you find a routine that works for you! There is a lot of trial an error involved, but this board is great for product and routine ideas!
    3b, low porosity, high density.

LP: Devacurl Low Poo, Camille Rose Naturals Ginger Rince
    CW: DC No Poo Decadence.
    RO: DC One Condition Decadence, Camille Rose Naturals Moroccan Pear
    DC:  Aussie 3 Minute Miracle, SM Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil, Curl Junkie Curl Rehab.
    Protein: Giovanni Smooth as Silk Extreme.
    Leave-in: KCKT.
    Styler: Curl Keeper Original.
    Gel: Curl Keeper Gel, Aussie Freeze.
    Once a month I clarify with any sulfate shampoo at hand
  • bohocurlbohocurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 5 Curl Neophyte
    I personally wash my hair every Sunday, but lately, since I've started cycling I have been washing closer to 2-3 times a week which I know isn't good. I just haven't figured out the perfect solution. However, once a week or twice a week is fine.
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I wash twice a week. I have very fine, low-porosity hair. Co-washing weighs down my hair, so I switched to low poo and have been a lot happier.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file