purple conditioner?

brit1brit1 Registered Users Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
Just wondering if one gets more effect from using a purple conditioner vs shampoo as the shampoos are so drying and full of bad ingredients? Or is there some other natural way to liven up the silver and eradicate any yellowing? TIA 

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    I think Lorraine Massey is coming out with a new line of products and it includes a purple conditioner.  There are some other products that people here use, but I'm not sure what they are. 

@jeepcurlygurl, do you use a purple conditioner?
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    @brit1 @Guide 65   I don't use shampoo and I have tried nearly all of the conditioners for grey hair but found them very drying. For years I have been adding red/gold corrector to my own conditioner. Cheap and non-drying.
    But now I have discovered Overtone Conditioner (I use their Extreme Silver conditioner and deep treatment) and it is amazing. Any yellowing in my hair is covered immediately and it's not drying. It is kind of pricey but it lasts a long long time for me. Highly recommend it. They have sample sizes to try the various shades of silver along with their other bright colors.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Doesn’t the overtone have silicones? I have platinum hair and use a purple shampoo. I don’t find it too drying. I would suggest diy by buying a vegetable based purple dye and mixing it with your shampoo or conditioner. If you do this, you don’t want it as pigmented as the purple products as the dye is more concentrated. Aim for a pale lavender color. Go with less and add more so you don’t accidentally dye purple. Blonde brilliance makes a sulfate free purple shampoo as well but I have to dilute it with other shampoos as I find it too strong.
    The color too strong, I mean.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    @BrittanyM I don't use any shampoo at all and have found all purple conditioners very drying. Adding red/gold corrector to my own conditioner was much better, but the Overtone is even better still  It does have amodimethicone a ways down the ingredient list but it causes me no issues. I only use it once a week and it works perfectly for me so there's no reason for me to experiment with homemade concoctions at this point. I have found my HG anti-yellowing product.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    I was asking you about the overtone. The suggestion was for OP. Keep doing what you’re doing if it works for you obviously.
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,357 Curl Connoisseur
    i agree with  @jeepcurlygurl.  i read one of her posts about overtone, contacted her for more info, and now love the stuff!  it will last me forever, so don't let the price scare you away, i don't see me buying it any more often than once every two years, seriously.  the color/tone is great and it is very moisturizing.  

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
    Lorraine Massey just launched a with or without hue toning conditioner. Here's a forum on it as well as others giving other options: https://curltalk.naturallycurly.com/discussion/186325/lorraine-masseys-new-potions#latest
    I have to say that I may break down and buy what appears to be the first CG toning conditioner that isn't DIY.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file