2b/c or curlier? Product recs?

tectonicfatetectonicfate Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
Hi all! I've been CG for a couple of weeks now (though I've been heat-, sulfate-, and silicone-free for several years) and am looking for clarification re: my hair type and product recommendations! My hair is pretty healthy, but has a bit of sun damage and some breakage and split ends. I think I'm a 2b or 2c (possibly curlier? my hair is currently very long and all one length, and the baby hairs around my face and shorter pieces at the back of my neck spring up into tighter spirals) with high density, low porosity, and medium thickness. Any feedback on this would be appreciated! I'll post a photo below. 

I've been experimenting with CG-approved products and have started drying and plopping with a t-shirt instead of towel drying (this has been a huge game-changer, frizz-wise). It's been hit or miss—I've found a few products that I really like and a couple that just haven't worked for me. I'm currently looking for a gel or something similar to use as the final step in my routine (so far, I've only tried Aussie Instant Freeze Gel and didn't like it at all). I've had great luck with SheaMoisture products for shampoo/conditioner/leave-in, but haven't been able to get my hands on any of their gels yet. Has anyone tried the SheaMoisture 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Daily Hydration Gel? Any recommendations for other gels? 

Here are a couple of photos from the best hair day I've had so far, using all SheaMoisture products: I shampooed with the Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Shine Shampoo, deep conditioned with the Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Intensive Hydration Masque, then applied the Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk to soaking wet hair, scrunched with a t-shirt, plopped for 15 min, and then air-dried.

Also, here's a look at the tighter curls around my face:

Best Answers

• hmr1016hmr1016 Registered Users Posts: 66 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    I've been loving the Camille Rose Naturals Fresh Ginger Cleansing Rinse and the Shea Moisture Fruit Fusion Weightless Creme Rinse, but I'm not totally wowed by any particular styler yet. I'm switching between the Amika Curl Corps Defining Gel and the Garnier Pure Clean Hold Gel, and I've had good luck with the Garnier.
    Current 2B/2C Routine:
    Cleanse -  NYM Curl Talk Shampoo or NYM Clean Freak Cleansing Conditioner
    Condition - Elucence Moisure Balance Conditioner
    Treatments - Olaplex (step 3) or Elucence Moisture Repair Treatment
    Style -  Briogeo Rosarco Milk Leave In + AG Re:Coil

• WavycatWavycat Registered Users Posts: 325 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    You could also try LA Looks sports gel.  Many curlies get good results with this gel.  Bonus is it’s budget friendly to try.  Good luck.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file