How can I get my mom to accept my hair?

[Anonymous User][Anonymous User] Posts: 0 Curl Neophyte
My mom has straight hair and my sister and I have curly. How can I deal with her not accepting our hair?

Answers

• WavycatWavycat Registered Users Posts: 325 Curl Connoisseur
    That’s a shame.  Maybe if you push thru this and get some products and she sees how nice the waves and curls can be she’ll be more accepting.  I’m sorry to read this.  If you can’t get any products maybe dilute the shampoo 1:3 shampoo to water.  I use this ratio every 4th cleansing.  You could do a search for some recipes and see if you have any ingredients to make your own.  I’m not sure if you live in the US but some VO5 and Suave conditioners are very affordable.  Hope you find something.  
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Registered Users Posts: 209 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm so sorry, I'm 32 years old and also dealing with my mom having a hard time accepting me taking so much time and using so many products (anything more than shampoo and conditioner is too much work for her). And the horror of not combing my hair after I get out of the shower. But I have a job, I pay for my own hair stuff and still make it to work on time, lol. She is becoming slightly more accepting, but it's also helped that I've figured out a little more about my hair over the last several months.

Sorry for the super long post, just wanted to let you know you are not alone. Have you thought about seeing if the Curly Girl Method book is at your local library? Maybe the printed word will help your mom accept your desire to change how you care for your hair?
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm so sorry you are going through this. 
    Show her this website and tell her there are hundreds of communities of gorgeous textured-hair women who embrace their natural beauty. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file