desperate! Need gel recommendations

curlypaintercurlypainter Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 9 Curl Neophyte
Hello Curlies, newbie here
I am desperate for gel recommendations.  I have used Dep sport gel (hold 11) for years and once they discontinued it,  I bought the little travel sizes in lots on ebay/amazon.  Well now I can't get those anymore and my supply is just about gone.  I have tried pretty much every drug store gel out there with disastrous results, they leave my hair frizzy and feeling like straw, or super thick with no defination.   I like a gel with  lots of hold, I don't mind a crunch feeling because I can usually scrunch it out.  I have tried the deva curl products and my hair does not like them at all, there is just not enough hold in the gel so all I get is frizz.  I use Suave as a cowash and vo5 as my conditioner and I do clarify with build up buster from Deva curl, seems to be the only product of theirs that my hair doesn't mind. I do blow dry my hair so I can get a bit looser curl, as I don't care for really tight curls on myself. I can't air dry as it takes HOURS for it to get completely dry and it usually dries very frizzy.   I do get my hair cut by a deva trained stylist who is awesome.
My hair is a 3b type curl, not sure of anything else.  My hair does not like creams, gels works the best.
Any recommendations, I'm desperate!? 
Thanks so much,
Curly painter

Best Answer

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I checked the ingredients in Dep - it has a protein, and pretty high on the list.  So with that in mind, you might like Bada Bing gel from Sallys.  It's also high in protein. And it's in the drugstore price range, although not found in drugstores (as far as I know).  It's a very hard hold gel too.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Answers

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Which ones have you tried that you didn't like? I use the Eco Styler Argan Oil Gel. Many like the LA Looks Sports Gel.
  • curlypaintercurlypainter Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 9 Curl Neophyte
    I've tried both you've mentioned above, pantene curl, suave firm control, la bella, and many more that you can find on the shelves at Walmart or Target type stores.  I get the same results from all of them, frizzy no hold hair. :( 
    When was the last time you clarified? Its strange you wouldn't get any hold. There's big and sexy hair gel and Aussie freeze hold, both are not CG approved though. The big sexy hair has straight up alcohol so I can't recommend it but it has a hard hold almost to a fault.
  • curlypaintercurlypainter Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 9 Curl Neophyte
    BrittanyM said:
    When was the last time you clarified? Its strange you wouldn't get any hold. There's big and sexy hair gel and Aussie freeze hold, both are not CG approved though. The big sexy hair has straight up alcohol so I can't recommend it but it has a hard hold almost to a fault.
    Hi,
    I clarify weekly, I sometimes use cantu co wash which removes build up(it's not my favorite to use), or like i said the devacurl buildup buster. Thanks for the suggestions, I might give them a try, can't hurt at this point. :smiley:
    Guide 65 said:
    I checked the ingredients in Dep - it has a protein, and pretty high on the list.  So with that in mind, you might like Bada Bing gel from Sallys.  It's also high in protein. And it's in the drugstore price range, although not found in drugstores (as far as I know).  It's a very hard hold gel too.
    Hi,
    It's funny you mentioned that, I saw you recommend this gel on another post and I wondered if it would work for me as well.  I will check it out.  Now, how are you able to tell what a protein is from the ingredients list?  I am amazed with everyone here and their knowledge of ingredients and what they all mean! :):smile:  I have  lots to learn.
    Thank you for your suggestion,
    curly painter
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Proteins generally say protein, or they might say hydrolyzed.  Also keratin is a protein (that's what's in dep), and silk, and some extracts - especially grain extracts like rice or wheat or oats.  Also amino acids and peptides.  And collagen too.  There's a lot!

Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    I need to use a curl cream under my gel to get good clumps.  Right now I have been using the DevaCurl Curl Cream, but there are lots on the market. 

Just wanted to throw that out there in case you already have some around.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I’m going to try them all.
  • beantreesbeantrees Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 116 Curl Connoisseur
    I don't know if this will be hard to find in your area, but I love Carina Organics gel.  It is lightweight but provides strong hold, doesn't build up, and seems to help my hair clump.  It has a unique texture that sort of seems to suck up water. 
    2C/3A, med/coarse, thick density, high porosity - CG since 5/17/2018
    Earlobe length on one side and pixie short in back and other side.  Growing out to chin/jaw length.
    Cleanse: Inecto Coconut Conditioner, SM JBCO shampoo
    RO Condition: SM Curl & Shine
    DT: SM JBCO masque
    LI: SM JBCO leave in, Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    Stylers: AG Recoil or SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie or SM Curl & Style Milk, Carina Organics gel

Just and update and thanks to everyone for suggestions.  I went to Sally's yesterday and got the bada bing gel, I think this is going to be my new favorite gel, I like it better than the Dep Sport. At first I was a little worried because it was so thick, but it was easy to work into my hair.   I still need to see how it holds up during the day, but so far I'm  liking it.  I also purchased a really nice clarifying shampoo from texture ID and a deep conditioner from Mielle called Babassu oil and mint Deep Conditioner, makes your scalp tingle due to the mint but  my hair feels so soft, I never realized Sallys had so many curly hair products.

One more question any one have any experience with  Anti breakage and repair antidote leave in conditioner, (ancient egyptian) by the mane choice?  Or can you suggest a good leave in conditioner?

Thanks again,

Curly Painter

So glad you were able to find a comparable gel! I might have to try that gel in the future.
    BrittanyM said:
    So glad you were able to find a comparable gel! I might have to try that gel in the future.

BrittanyM said:
    yes, thank you!  The gel smells good too!  It's been hot and somewhat humid here today and my hair is still looking good, good curl definition too, that is never the case with my normal products.  I'm pretty happy with the results of the gel so far, and the conditioner/shampoo too. 
  • xshawnnax16xshawnnax16 Registered Users Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried Kinky Curly curling custard, or Dippity-do girls with curls gelee? Those both work great for my hair and have natural ingredients.
    Have you tried Kinky Curly curling custard, or Dippity-do girls with curls gelee? Those both work great for my hair and have natural ingredients.
    HI,
    I haven't.  I wondered about the kinky curly curling custard not having enough hold?  Is it a thin gel or on the thicker? Seems like thin gels don't work in my hair. Where would I find the dippity do?  

So a month in using the badda bing gel, it's been unusually humid here, and the gel didn't give me the hold I had hoped for in very humid weather, but I still like it and will use it in the fall and winter when the humidity is gone. 

• AnneCuthersAnneCuthers Registered Users Posts: 35 Curl Connoisseur
    My personal favorite is wetline xtreme gel , I know you said you found a promising gel but this one is really good. It contains no protein though.
    Type 4 hair
    High porosity
    Medium density
    Medium strand thickness

My personal favorite is wetline xtreme gel , I know you said you found a promising gel but this one is really good. It contains no protein though.
    Thank you for the suggestion!  I'm always willing to try other things.  Where did  you find it?

• cnic216cnic216 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 157 Curl Connoisseur
    I second @BrittanyM with Eco Argan oil gel. It's amazing and my absolute favorite gel. Great hold and works great with frizz. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file