Styling method advice

CurlyD24CurlyD24 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 83 Curl Connoisseur
My hair is confusing me. When I started CG I would style upside down, then flip my head over, scrunch some gel and go. My hair had different types of curls and this method worked just fine. Now my hair seems to curl all in the same direction and forms these 'sausage curls' (for lack of a better word...). They're super pretty but I don't get them all around my head. The only way to style my hair that *sort of* works is standing upright, combing it through until the clumps appear, then smoothing product over each clump and scrunching it in. I can't plop, or flip my head over, or otherwise all of the clumps get destroyed. Diffusing messes it up. Does anyone have similar curls? All of the styling methods I see online just don't work for me anymore !! Styling just stressing me out !! I want to find a method that's easy and works most of the time. 
2c/3a hair, with some 2b and 3b pieces. Armpit length, medium porosity, fine. Light brown with blonde and red highlights. CG since January 2018. 
Shampoo: Camille Rose Ginger Cleansing Rinse 
Co-wash: MopTop Co-wash 
Conditioner: Innersense Color Radiance 
Stylers: Innersense Quiet Calm, Innersense I Create Hold, MopTop Custard 

Comments

• socurlssocurls Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 207 Curl Connoisseur
    I have the same problem and a little the same curls ..

I do not have the same curls everywhere just like you (I call them supercurls : it's like a mix of several curls in one ) and they are mainly at the front of the head.

I use a little more gel at the moment and I separate the "curls" , it gives more volume, it is much more prettier and uniform!  :)
  • CurlyD24CurlyD24 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 83 Curl Connoisseur
    @socurls , thank you for your answer :smile:
    We have similar types of curls ! Mine are also mostly around my face. How do you style them after washing and conditioning? 
    2c/3a hair, with some 2b and 3b pieces. Armpit length, medium porosity, fine. Light brown with blonde and red highlights. CG since January 2018. 
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Very pretty curl. I style upright as well. You have to do what works for you. I could never flip my head upside down either. We all have different curls on our head. I have mostly 2b to 2c hair, but some form 3a ringlets.
  • socurlssocurls Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 207 Curl Connoisseur
    I have the same routine, scrunch with some gel then scrunch with a microfiber towel, a little fingercoil on the loops a little too loose and that's it!
    I can not use the diffuser either .. 😊
  • hmr1016hmr1016 Registered Users Posts: 66 Curl Connoisseur
    I have the same sausage curls on the bottom layer of my hair (we use the same shampoo and cowash too omg). I found that getting beveled layers cut into my hair helped them clump much better. Also, have you tried clipping your roots? It helped my curls clump a little better—but I suggest using small plastic jaw clips instead of metal duckbill clips. Hope this helps somewhat!
    Current 2B/2C Routine:
    Cleanse -  NYM Curl Talk Shampoo or NYM Clean Freak Cleansing Conditioner
    Condition - Elucence Moisure Balance Conditioner
    Treatments - Olaplex (step 3) or Elucence Moisture Repair Treatment
    Style -  Briogeo Rosarco Milk Leave In + AG Re:Coil

@hmr1016 this is so true ! I just got a haircut and my hair started clumping 'normally' again instead of only forming three huge clumps that made styling difficult. I had no idea a haircut could influence styling and clumping so much. I'm going to try clipping next :) 
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I have a friend who has this problem, and she said her hairdresser does something with chopsticks to separate the large clumps. I don't have any more info than that, however...
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Chopsticks ? Wow, that's interesting. Do you know if that's a Ouidad stylist? 
    I've been wondering whether Ouidad cuts could target this problem more since they focus a lot on bulkiness. 
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    My friend's stylist is not associated with any kind of method (Deva, Ouidad).

A Ouidad cut might be helpful. I used to have problems with my hair all clumping together into just a few large clumps. I now get Ouidad cuts and find that I have much less of a problem.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file