Recommendations for Refreshers for 2B/2C/3A, low density, oily scalp, low porosity hair

jwputnamjwputnam Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 3 Curl Neophyte
I use the curly girl method for wash day but I'm frustrated on what is the best was to refresh my hair. 2nd and 3rd day are always a challenge as to how not to look oily and stringy. throwing midwestern humid climate and I'm a hot mess before i get to work. Looking for recommendations for techniques and products.

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    I sometimes use Batiste dry shampoo to combat oiliness.  It gives me so much volume!  And then I use just water to dampen my hair, and a tiny bit of gel, emulsified in wet hands, for a little more control.  Some people mix up a little conditioner and water together to dampen their hair, but it leaves me greasy and stringy in the summer.  I try to stick to the same products I used on day 1.  It seems to work better for me.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    In the humid weather, I find that I need to avoid leave-in products that contain aloe or glycerin high up on the ingredients list. These ingredients are OK for me in products that get rinsed out but not in anything that stays in the hair. Glycerin and aloe are humectants and attract moisture, making my hair look limp and lifeless in the summer.

I use quite a bit of hard-hold gel on wash day, and that seems to help preserve the curls for multiple days. I also use a little bit of hairspray to add an extra barrier between my hair and the humidity.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file