Fine curly hair and pulled apart curls/frizz

sachi106sachi106 Posts: 10Registered Users Curl Novice
I have baby fine, 3a/b, mid back length hair. I have a huge list of grievances about having fine curly hair but I have one concern that really frustrates me: my curls won’t hold for ****! My curls look nice for about 10 minutes after air drying and once there is any type of movement they get pulled apart. When they get pulled part while dry the result is a sad frizzy has been shell of a curl. I keep my hands out if my hair and this still happens. A slight breeze or the friction of my hair against my back will do this too. I also have an insane amount of frizz, like my hair has it’s own little atmosphere of frizz. I take care of my hair, never color or use heat, deep condition once a week, and do all the curly girl method stuff but my hair is still a disaster. I can’t use a heavy product to hold the curls because my hair ends up looking greasy. 

Does anyone have this hair type and this problem? Has anything worked for you? I could deal with a product that weighs down a bit if it mean they’ll stay intact and reduce frizz. I’m at my wits end and am on the verge of giving up and investing in wigs or straightening my hair. I baby my hair and take good care of it yet it still looks like an unkempt mess. I’m sick of looking like a bum!

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,706Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Have you tried a protein treatment?  It really helps my hair a lot.  Also finding the right styling products for your hair helps.  You might want to try a hard hold gel.  I find I have to use a lot of a medium or light hold gel, but with a hard hold, I can use less, and using less product is better for my hair.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I agree with @Guide 65 A hard hold gel really helps.  I resisted using gel for the longest time, but it really does help.  I use a curl cream with a hard hold gel on top.   Once the hair is dry and you break the cast, it really does hold.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • sachi106sachi106 Posts: 10Registered Users Curl Novice
    @Guide 65 Yes I do protein treatments here and there. Does the gel leave your hair crunchy at all?
    @WavyKfromNJ What is the cast?
  • CurlyLiliCurlyLili Posts: 64Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Try rice water rinse. It is basically a protein treatment, and I have noticed great improvement to my hair after doing it (less frizz, hair feels moisturized longer, more clumps, better definition...)
    Type: 3a/3b
    Hair strand thickness: medium/coarse
    Density: thick
    Porosity: low at roots/normal mid-shaft/high at ends
    Sensitivity to protein: no

Cleanse: SM 100% Virgin coconut daily hydration, DC Low-poo
    Clarify: Build up buster, Trepadora Gojiberry Mint Reviving hair rinse
    DT: DC Melt into moisture, SM Manuka honey & Mafura oil, occasional fermented rice water
    Condition: DC One Condition and One Condition Decadence
    Leave-in: Kinky Curly Knot Today
    Style: DC ArcAngel, DC UDG, Curl Keeper Original
    Refresher: diluted conditioner in a spritz bottle

sachi106 said:
    @WavyKfromNJ What is the cast?
    The cast is a thin film/crust that forms on your hair as it is drying with the gel.  After your hair is dry you scrunch you hair and you can no longer see or feel it.
    2b, 2c,

Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    sachi106 said:
    @Guide 65 Yes I do protein treatments here and there. Does the gel leave your hair crunchy at all?
    Yes, gel does dry crunchy.  So as soon as your hair is 100% dry, you're supposed to "scrunch out the crunch".  Flip your head over, scrunch your hair, ruffle the roots, and you should be left with non-crunchy, soft curls that hold all day.  That's my favorite part of my routine!
    Current products:
    @WavyKfromNJ @Guide 65 Ok thanks! How do you apply it? I rake/scrunch my current products, will that work for gel? And what brands do you recommend? 
    I like Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel, but there's a ton of different gels out there.  Bada Bing is another one I like - it's cheaper.  If you want really cheap, LA Looks Sports gel is good.
    Current products:
    @Guide 65 ok I’ll give those a try. Fingers crossed!
  • SavagegirlSavagegirl Posts: 373Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    You might want to try Ouidad's rake and shake method for applying for products. That reduces frizz a whole lot.

A product that i have discovered and love is earthtones naturals lite gelly. I used to use hard gold gel (kinky curly or innersense) until i found that gelly!! HGl
    __
    2C-3A Fine, medium density, long
    Modified CG Method / Natural Only since 2015
    :thumbright:
    Canadian Mama!
    You can try raking.  I generally do Squish to Condish with conditioner and gel, I find that helps distribution.

2b, 2c,

• EvolvingfroEvolvingfro Posts: 14Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I have this same problem.  Hair spray usually was my go to fix for securing my style and keeping frizz at bay, but I've been avoiding them since starting the CG method a couple months ago.  I just found out they do make alcohol/silicone free hair sprays (thank you Guide 65!) so I will be picking one up the next time I go to the store.  My favorite way to keep my fine 2b-c waves from falling flat/frizzing out (so far--I'm still experimenting!) is to apply a leave in conditioner to soaking wet hair, followed by Catwalk Curls Amplifier.  This product works really well for my hair, but word of warning--it can get too crunchy if applied to damp hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file