Hello, Curly World!

emkvangemkvang Registered Users Posts: 4 Curl Neophyte
Hello! I've finally pulled myself together and officially joined naturally curly. I am so excited to read about all your hair journeys because I'm on my very own hair journey as well. I have been heat free for almost two years and haven't dyed my hair for about three years. I have long 2b/2c curl/waves and am still learning how to style it and take care of it. Here's a picture of my day one hair:
If you have any tips on how to minimize frizz and adding more volume to long hair, please throw them my way! Also, my curls split at awkward angles and so it often makes it seem as if I have bald spots, if you have any tips on how to prevent that as well, let me know! :)

Best,
Emily

Comments

  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Gorgeous hair!  Welcome to Curl Talk!

    I think we all have the same problems - too much frizz, not enough volume.  And the scalp showing through!  Looking at your hair, I think it looks really healthy and pretty.  Maybe a bit more moisture could help, but then you'll lose more volume.  Maybe you can add more leave in conditioner down through the lengths of your hair, and keep it away from the roots.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • beantreesbeantrees Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 116 Curl Connoisseur
    Beautiful hair!  Welcome to CurlTalk!  I don't have long hair, but massaging the scalp when hair is totally dry can help with volume, and might help with the faux bald spots.  It just breaks up the curl pattern at the roots, but not lower down, so the curls aren't destroyed and there is more volume at the roots.  Also like @Guide 65 said, maybe more moisture (though you might get less volume).  
    2C/3A, med/coarse, thick density, high porosity - CG since 5/17/2018
    Earlobe length on one side and pixie short in back and other side.  Growing out to chin/jaw length.
    Cleanse: Inecto Coconut Conditioner, SM JBCO shampoo
    RO Condition: SM Curl & Shine
    DT: SM JBCO masque
    LI: SM JBCO leave in, Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    Stylers: AG Recoil or SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie or SM Curl & Style Milk, Carina Organics gel


  • emkvangemkvang Registered Users Posts: 4 Curl Neophyte
    Thank you so much ladies! I'm excited to explore the site more and learn more about how to take care of my hair. Thanks again!
  • ManmandjManmandj Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 9 Curl Neophyte
    So I have only started my curly girl transition 2 weeks ago. Not chemically processed but straighten quite often. My hair has always straighten very easily and I had always assumed it was just wavy but as I have researched curly girl hair types I have cam to discover I am more or a 3a with some 2c waves. The longer I go in this transition the more curly my hair is getting. It is waist length low porosity and low density. I currently low poo everyday or every other day and condition daily. I use L.A gel. However this doesn't provide the hold that I am use to with hairspray any tips would be great. 
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Manmandj said:
    So I have only started my curly girl transition 2 weeks ago. Not chemically processed but straighten quite often. My hair has always straighten very easily and I had always assumed it was just wavy but as I have researched curly girl hair types I have cam to discover I am more or a 3a with some 2c waves. The longer I go in this transition the more curly my hair is getting. It is waist length low porosity and low density. I currently low poo everyday or every other day and condition daily. I use L.A gel. However this doesn't provide the hold that I am use to with hairspray any tips would be great. 
    Welcome to CurlTalk!  How much gel are you using?  You should be using quite a bit - at least a full palmful, and maybe more.  If that doesn't work, then you might want to try a different gel.  Bada Bing gel from Sallys might work well for you.  I think the hold is harder than LA Looks, and it also contains protein, which might be good for your hair. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • ManmandjManmandj Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 9 Curl Neophyte
    I use a ton of gel at least 3 palmfuls I added mousse this morning but now I have frizz :neutral:
  • emkvangemkvang Registered Users Posts: 4 Curl Neophyte
    Manmandj said:
    I use a ton of gel at least 3 palmfuls I added mousse this morning but now I have frizz :neutral:
    Hello!! And welcome to Naturally Curly! When I first started, my hair was constantly frizzy as well. It took me quite a while before finding the right products for my hair. As Guide65 mentioned, you might want to use more gel for your hair especially since it's longer. And if that still doesn't help, maybe switch to a different gel for curly hair. I use DevaCurl's Ultra Defining Gel and it works wonders for my hair. You should also check out what kind of shampoo you're using. Is that shampoo and conditioner made for curly hair? Does that shampoo feel like it's stripping your hair of its natural oils and make your hair feel "squeeky" clean? I noticed a change in my hair frizz level after changing the type of shampoo and conditioner I used. I usually use sulfate, silicone, and paraben free shampoos and conditioners. I've also never used mousse in my hair, so I wish I could give you some pointers for that but I can't. I hope this helps you on your curly journey! :smile:
  • WavycatWavycat Registered Users Posts: 325 Curl Connoisseur
    emkvang said:
    Hello! I've finally pulled myself together and officially joined naturally curly. I am so excited to read about all your hair journeys because I'm on my very own hair journey as well. I have been heat free for almost two years and haven't dyed my hair for about three years. I have long 2b/2c curl/waves and am still learning how to style it and take care of it. Here's a picture of my day one hair:
    If you have any tips on how to minimize frizz and adding more volume to long hair, please throw them my way! Also, my curls split at awkward angles and so it often makes it seem as if I have bald spots, if you have any tips on how to prevent that as well, let me know! :)

    Best,
    Emily

    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
  • WavycatWavycat Registered Users Posts: 325 Curl Connoisseur
    So I’m sorry but I tried to reply but it seems that I messed up.  Anyway hello Emily.  Your curls are really nice.  I get the bald spots too.  Mostly at my cowlicks.  Clipping helps but an easy way I found is to pineapple my crown hair as it’s drying.  This also helps with volume.  I have waist length hair and I’ve found this to help with both issues.  If you get second day hair and the same issues I dampen my areas that aren’t playing nice and I either pineapple the crown again or I’ll use a big 3-prong clip for a bit. At the crown.  Only dampen it though.  I forget if the clip is a spider clip or something like that.  Claw clip?  Pineapple in the morning really helps boost the volume a bit.  Good luck!
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file