Help with dry, frizzy, hard to define hair

hquinn31hquinn31 Posts: 6Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
edited July 2018 in Hair Type 2
Hey y'all!
I think my curls are a 2b with some 2c pieces around my face and hairline (it doesn't like to curl at the back.) I just started wearing my hair natural at the beginning of April, so I'm a little over 3 months into my own modified curly girl method. I haven't used heat in almost 4 months, and I haven't been brushing or combing (except a wide comb to detangle with in the shower). For the most part I can already tell a huge difference; my hair is curling more on its own now and doesn't feel as damaged as it used to, but it still feels dry and frizzes like no tomorrow. I've been using a weekly hydrating mask with my conditioner and it's improved, but not enough to really help with any of the issues I'm having. I'm wondering if I need to with over to a sulfate free shampoo to help with the dryness, but I'm hesitant because my attempts at trying stuff like this haven't ended well. I tried DevaCurl Low-poo or No-poo (can't remember which) and it felt like it never rinsed out of my hair. It was so oily and waxy on top the next day that I just washed it again and started over. I didn't know if there was anything between the two, a shampoo that actually feels like it cleanses without being too harsh on my hair? I also have seborrheic dermatitis, so I'd like to use a shampoo that soothes my scalp as well. As for styling, my hair usually looks great right after it's washed. I've been using the Bumble and Bumble curl cream mixed with their mousse, but lately I've been trying Devacurl's super cream to help with my dryness and using a light gel on top for hold. I was wondering if y'all had any other product recommendations that have worked better for you, or styling/washing techniques to help my hair curl evenly all around instead of being a mess in the back?

Comments

• CurlyLiliCurlyLili Posts: 69Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    edited July 2018
    I heard great reviews about Trader Joe's Tea tree tingle shampoo and conditioner, from those with scalp issues. 

I started with cgm in May, and had problems with my back hair being frizzy, dry (straw like) and undefined. I got great advice here about product application methods, and managed to sort it out in 2 weeks. Here is a link to that thread: https://curltalk.naturallycurly.com/discussion/187278/styling-products-to-help-with-clumping
    One thing that really helped my hair was fermented rice water. I did it twice so far, and I've noticed my hair retains moisture much better/longer now. 
    Hope this helps a little.
    Type: 3a/3b
    Hair strand thickness: medium/coarse
    Density: thick
    Porosity: low at roots/normal mid-shaft/high at ends
    Sensitivity to protein: no

Cleanse: DC Low-poo
    Clarify: Build up buster, Malibu-C Un do goo
    DT: DC Melt into moisture, Curly Hair Solutions Pure Silk Protein Treatment, occasional fermented rice water
    Condition: DC One Condition Original and One Condition Decadence
    Style: DC ArcAngel, DC UDG, Curl Keeper Original, Jessicurl Confident coils, Spiralicious, Deva B'leave in

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file