How do i stop the roots of my hair from straightening

straighthairisoverratedstraighthairisoverrated Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 7 Curl Neophyte
Hey there, so basically what happens is when i have washed my hair and then plopped it, after i take it out and while its wet the curls look really nice and basically stay curly from roots to the ends. But when it dries, the curls at the roots disappear or turn into weird waves. In addition to this whenever i put my hair up (in a ponytail or one of those really basic messy buns) the curls completely disappear except at the ends. Is there anything i can do to stop this - i think it may be because i have a weak curl pattern (if my hair is pulled it doesn't bounce back properly and ). If you believe this is so, are there any solutions to strengthen it???

P.S I have been advised to try products that have alot of protein in it. Would these work?
P.S.S Has anyone tried the Garnier Fructis Nourishing Banana Hair Food before?? Would it help my situation at all?

Best Answer

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I clip the roots when it's drying to get some waves up top, otherwise my hair is completely straight up there.  I have tried that conditioner - just a couple days ago I used it!  It is a good conditioner.  It'll help to condition your hair - I don't think it's going to do anything about your non-curly roots though.  If you want to try a protein condition, you could try Curl Junkie Repair Me, or Deva Curl Deep Sea Repair.  There are others as well.  But the GF is protein free.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Answers

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Definitely try clipping. And also pulling the hair back will naturally straighten the roots as they are being pulled. Other than that, hair tends to naturally be looser at the roots.
  • malika_greenmalika_green Registered Users Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
    yep, I have the same thing, insane curls at the bottom, drowned rat at the top, giving the classic triangle shape. But...a few bulldog clips on big sections should help to lift it, and i tend to use product only on the bottom two thirds. All the lovely conditioners for the dry ends will just weigh down the hair at the roots. Ooooh, and a quick flip upside down, finger ruffle through the scalp (when it's still a bit damp but not wet). Good luck!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Ha!  Love "drowned rat at the top"! Hilarious!  
    You might want to try this technique for root lift. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file