Clarifying ruined my wave pattern, what did I do wrong?

alinavictoriawalinavictoriaw Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
I have been following CG for a month, it was going well until I clarified.

I have been using the not you mothers naturals to low-poo and co-wash. I usually wash every 2-3 days alternating with low-poo, co-wash,co-wash and start over. I use homemade flax seed gel and LA looks to style my hair. I clarified for the first time two days ago with Suave clarifying shampoo. I did deep condition after with a diy avacado, honey and olive oil blend. Well the olive oil was wayyyy to much for my hair so it was really greasy after, I had to use the suave shampoo again (just a little) to get the crap out. I conditioned with my regular conditioner after and since my hair just won’t keep the wave pattern....

Over the last month it has alternated wth 2b/2c patterns and today as well as the day before it just won’t hold a wave at all, it got really frizzy with s slight wave and fell completely straight after some time. My hair is quite dry, it takes at least 7 days for sebum to start showing in my roots so I know I should be deep conditioning more than I have been. I just haven’t had the moneys to buy a good deep conditioned yet. But I don’t think that should make my hair stop keeping a wave pattern suddenly after clarifying or am I missing something?!

(not using brushes btw)

The following photos are examples of what it looked like over this past month, in chronological order maybe 4-7 days apart.  Last photo is from this morning, my hair was still in a mild cast so it looks a bit wet but you can clearly see the difference in my wave pattern. 

Answers

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    edited July 2018
    Your wave is still there. You really dont need a lot of money for a good deep condition. My favorites are 10 dollars. In the mean time, try deep conditioning with your regular condition mixed with Aloe Vera and honey. 4 parts conditioner to one to one ratio if you have the ingredients. They will come back, just give it some time.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    edited July 2018
    Welcome to CurlTalk!

It looks like you still have oil in your hair.  I'm betting the problem isn't clarifying, it's the DIY conditioner.  If you need a cheap deep conditioner, check out Garnier Fructis 1 minute hair mask.  It's only $2.99 up here in Canada, it'll be even cheaper if you're in the US. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • alinavictoriawalinavictoriaw Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    Welcome to CurlTalk!

It looks like you still have oil in your hair.  I'm betting the problem isn't clarifying, it's the DIY conditioner.  If you need a cheap deep conditioner, check out Garnier Fructis 1 minute hair mask.  It's only $2.99 up here in Canada, it'll be even cheaper if you're in the US. 
    In that picture actually my hair is still like 25% wet, I just wanted to link it to show the difference in the pattern. Once it dried it didn't feel oily or look oily at all it actually looked dry and frizzy and the wave pattern was gone as well. But that would make sense if it was the diy deep conditioner, I found the recipe in a naturally curly article so I thought it would work.

Also thank you for the suggestion! Im going to pick some up today and try it this week when I wash again ☺️
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    More water.  Keep a spray bottle around to add the moisture to your hair.  
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file