Dry cut worth the cost for wavy hair?

Pree990Pree990 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 28 Curl Novice
edited July 2018 in Salon/Stylist Chatter
Hey everyone,

Has anyone here with wavy hair gotten a dry cut and was it worth it?  The prices at Devacurl and Ouidad are steep to say the least. 

I've had some great haircuts in the past that were done wet but I've also had some bad haircuts. 

My current stylist is pretty good - she listens to what I want and she also has wavy hair.  I came to her to salvage a bad, overly layered, haircut (and she def helped it look much better).  She cuts my hair dry but lightly blow drys it with a round brush first.   I'm kind of used to just not liking my haircuts that much and usually like it when it's grown out a little more but not when it grows out so much so that it's flat at the crown (like the pic below).  I wasn't sure if a lot of that had to do with with the fact that I never really knew how to style my hair but I'm continuing to experiment with my routine.  I'm wondering if I should stick to my current salon or try out a salon that will cut my hair dry and wavy.  

Here's my hair:

Best Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I think if you're happy with the cuts you're getting now, there's no point in going somewhere else.  I do get deva cuts, but that was because I was really unhappy with regular wet cuts, and I had tried all kinds of different salons and stylists.  And I'm still somewhat unhappy with the deva cuts, but at least it looks better after a couple weeks.  The wet cuts just looked bad all the time.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • KMarKMar Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 41 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    I have 2c/3a hair and got my first real dry cut 5 or 6 weeks ago. It is the best cut I have ever had. It was not a a Deval salon. I researched local stylists and found someone who does dry cuts for wavy/curly hair and has curly hair herself. I DID NOT AND NEVER HAVE walked out of a salon liking the style. I always immediately go home and restyle my hair which I have come to accept. 
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    For me it was worth it.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Answers

• Pree990Pree990 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 28 Curl Novice
    Guide 65 said:
    I think if you're happy with the cuts you're getting now, there's no point in going somewhere else.  I do get deva cuts, but that was because I was really unhappy with regular wet cuts, and I had tried all kinds of different salons and stylists.  And I'm still somewhat unhappy with the deva cuts, but at least it looks better after a couple weeks.  The wet cuts just looked bad all the time.
    Ah I see. I mean for me, it's been a mixed bag.  I wonder if it's a thing where you have to "settle" into a cut, if that makes sense.  There's only been maybe 2 or 3 times in my life that I left a salon loving my hair.  I find that I usually need a couple of weeks to go by and I need to style it myself because even though the hairdresser is the professional, I find the way they style it looks nice on it's own (like when viewed from behind) but doesn't work with my face and style/preferences.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file