Can I get my curls back? Is this just what they are now?

Calla_bungaCalla_bunga Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Okay, so I’m just getting started on my recommitment to curly hair! It just can’t bounce back like it used to! So I would say my hair is somewhere between a 3a & 3b right now. I have started the CG method, but not endured long enough to see results. I have 3 kids under 4, which means a lot of hormonal changes in a short amount of time. My hair got fuller & healthier with my boys’ pregnancies but lost curl. During my last pregnancy my hair thinned & dried out but regained some curl.  So I will include some evolution pictures. I’d love to get back to my 3b curls of college days, but I’m not sure if it’s possible.  What products/ techniques would you recommend for my hair? Any success stories of regaining your younger self’s curls? Top 2: younger self, bottom L: after sons’ births & lost curl, bottom R: current hair 3a/3b, fine, medium density, medium porosity, pretty healthy, not dry/damaged  -

current routine: I have clarified,  nopoo, wash w/ shea moisture conditioner 2x/wk, plop w/ T-shirt to 30%ish dry, devacurl style cream, diffuse to 80% dry (head upside down), carol’s daughter black vanilla hair oil, Shea moisture coconut hibiscus hold & shine moisture mist. Hairspray & fingertease roots for some lift! Sleep with scrunchied pineapple. 

Best Answers

• Mehndi-RubiMehndi-Rubi Posts: 24 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    I know this story! I have 3 kids as well, but if they were all under 4, I'd be LOSING all my hair! 

Hormones can be tough on hair, plus hair has "cycles" in growth and the longer hair has existed on your head the more damage/changes it has had to experience.

Your hair looks longer in the recent pictures, so your curls me be elongated from the weight of the hair, making them seem less tight. 

What type of climate do you live in?  Do you take vitamin regularly?

I notice issues in my hair when I don't take vitamins. However, the single biggest factor for my curls is climate.  The drier the climate the looser and frizzier my curls.  I have a Q-Redew which really helps, and I spritz my hair with water and/or refresher all day long.  Once the get hydrated enough they "behave" the way I expect them too.  Maybe try a deep conditioner?
    3A/B in Hot Dry Desert, Low Porosity
    I LOVE MY Q-REDEW

DevaCurl Low Poo Original in rotation with No Poo Decadence
    DevaCurl One Condition Original, DevaCurl B'Leave-In, KCKT
    Clarify: Miss Jessie's Super Slip Sudsy
    Deva Arc Angel Gel & Set It Free
    Mist-er Right, Alikay Aloe Berry Gel
    Ecoco Eco-Lesterol, Deva Melt Into Moisture
    Color: Ancient Sunrise Rajasthani Monsoon Henna

• Mehndi-RubiMehndi-Rubi Posts: 24 Curl Connoisseur
    edited July 14 Accepted Answer
    Believe it or not, Austin is pretty damp compared to Phoenix, LOL! 

This little tool helps me like nothing else:  https://www.naturallycurly.com/frizz-forecast

I lived in Southern CA most of my life and I moved to AZ 5 years ago.  I love it here, but at first I thought I had to re-learn how to recognize myself in a mirror, because my hair got so thin, straight, and DRY.  I didn't look or feel like "me". I began to pay attention to The Frizz Forecast here, and for awhile I checked it almost every day.  Getting some help with the products that will work best, depending on "dew points", humidity (or lack of), and heat/cold changes everything for me.  Now I can pretty much tell what my hair needs because I learned how the atmosphere causes my hair's quirks. It's actually fascinating...my hair is my personal science experiment. :# The best thing, though, is I can help my kids avoid all the painful, embarassing hair problems I had growing up as a curly-frizzy redhead. 
    3A/B in Hot Dry Desert, Low Porosity
    I LOVE MY Q-REDEW

DevaCurl Low Poo Original in rotation with No Poo Decadence
    DevaCurl One Condition Original, DevaCurl B'Leave-In, KCKT
    Clarify: Miss Jessie's Super Slip Sudsy
    Deva Arc Angel Gel & Set It Free
    Mist-er Right, Alikay Aloe Berry Gel
    Ecoco Eco-Lesterol, Deva Melt Into Moisture
    Color: Ancient Sunrise Rajasthani Monsoon Henna

Answers

• Calla_bungaCalla_bunga Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thanks! Climate & vitamins are things that I had not put too much thought in! I’m in Austin, Texas which is soooo hot & dry. I am definitely no stranger to a deep conditioner! I guess I was closer to the coast with more humidity during those college years. I’ve of course been off & on vitamins of different sorts over the last few years, but I should probably commit to a good daily one & look for some results there! (No more pregnancies!!! 🙏🏻) My hair is longer now, which I like, but maybe not at the expense of springy-er curls! Thanks, these are some things that I hadn’t thought of!
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have found spritzing my hair with water a few times a day helps get the moisture back into my hair.  I will spritz in the morning, afternoon, evening & before bed.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file