Ways to grow your hair out!

CurlyMarie223CurlyMarie223 Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
I have thin loose curls that I have been trying to grow out for years! I am 21 years old and had extensions in high school for three years because my hair hadn’t grown before that and I was dying for long hair. After high school I took them out and have tried vitamins, treatments, and conditioners but nothing has worked to grow it or even thicken it I’m looking for some great advice on what to do 

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I don't have any suggestions for you, but wanted to say welcome to CurlTalk!  Hopefully someone else will be along soon with some help.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    So here's the truth. There's not much you can do to speed up your genetically set rate of hair growth. However there are ways to maximize it. Eat well, drink water, and live a healthy lifestyle is the simple yet difficult answer. Definitely take a multivitamin. I recently started taking a skin, hair, and nails vitamin on top of the multivitamin. It hasn't made my hair grow faster but it did make my hair resistant to bleach (not necessarily thicker just stronger but this was a con for me). You can try rice water, Jamaican black castor oil, and the inversion method if you wish, but keep in mind that a lot of the effects are from greatly exaggerated to being falsified. But it doesn't ever hurt to try. The average person grows hair at about 1/2 inch a month, so 6 inches a year.
    Now for the hair you already have, take care of it. Deep condition once a week. Protein treatments if you need them. It doesn't matter if you are growing an inch of hair a month if your hair is breaking on the ends. Get a trim immediately if you see a lot of split ends as those will only get worse with time.
    Search on naturally curly for hair growth articles for more information. Patience is key here as frustrating as it is.
  • WavycatWavycat Posts: 325Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Maybe try scalp massaging to stimulate growth.  There’s also something about Monistat for hair growth.  If you google it you should find discussions on it.  Everybody has to make their own choice on that.  I tried it a few times but I was never consistent.  I hesitate to say this but measure your hair every couple months.  It doesn’t really matter how you measure just that you do it same each time.  Sometimes I felt my hair wasn’t growing but it was growing.  Also, generally hair grows slower in the winter and faster in the summer.  Good luck and happy growing.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file