Aveda products?

DrpjfitzDrpjfitz Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 72 Curl Connoisseur
I noticed that Aveda products are not on the CG-approved list and was wondering why?
3A fine, normal porosity
No specific products as of yet—still trying to figure out what works for my hair 

Best Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Aveda products tend to use sulfates and silicones, which are not CG friendly.  There may be some that could be used, but I'm not sure which ones.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • curly_kccurly_kc Registered Users Posts: 72 Curl Novice
    Accepted Answer
    I like the concept of Aveda products, especially with the reward points.

I think Aveda is mostly marketing now for the "Ayurvedic" lifestyle. 

I like the Aveda tea.

I would use Aveda products exclusively when I was in my 20s, before it was sold to Estee Lauder in 1997, which reminds me of the perfume and lipstick my grandmother used to wear. 
    Conditioner Wash: V05 Kiwi-Lime Clarifying Conditioner

Shampoo: Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus Shampoo

Rinse-Out and Leave-In Conditioner: V05 Vanilla-Mint Conditioner

Gel Styling Product: L.A. Looks Mega Mega Hold
  • beantreesbeantrees Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 116 Curl Connoisseur
    Accepted Answer
    I used to use (and liked) the Be Curly Style Prep, and loved the Be Curly conditioner. From what I can tell, both are cg though I'm not great at identifying the more obscure non-cg ingredients. 
    2C/3A, med/coarse, thick density, high porosity - CG since 5/17/2018
    Earlobe length on one side and pixie short in back and other side.  Growing out to chin/jaw length.
    Cleanse: Inecto Coconut Conditioner, SM JBCO shampoo
    RO Condition: SM Curl & Shine
    DT: SM JBCO masque
    LI: SM JBCO leave in, Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    Stylers: AG Recoil or SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie or SM Curl & Style Milk, Carina Organics gel

Accepted Answer
    I have seen Mo Knows Hair on YouTube demonstrate on African-American textured hair using Aveda products, both to straighten and curl natural hair that hasn't been relaxed. 

I've seen other curlies on YouTube mix the Aveda Be Curly Curl Enhancer with the Aveda Confixor gel or some other medium hold gel, with greats results. 

• CurlagogoCurlagogo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 5 Curl Neophyte
    Accepted Answer
    I was using all Aveda products (friend had a kickbutt discount). I used the Color conserve shampoo and conditioner.  Be curly prep with confixor gel. It worked really well for awhile, but my hair is really dry now. So I recently switched to the Deva curl line (delight). I am giving the CG method a try.

Answers

• DrpjfitzDrpjfitz Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 72 Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you, Guide65. I think I need to print out the list of ingredients to avoid and have it with me when I look at products.
    3A fine, normal porosity
    No specific products as of yet—still trying to figure out what works for my hair 
    Hi Curly_kc—do you still use any of the Aveda products?
    3A fine, normal porosity
    Thank you beantrees! Before I started my curly journey, I had no idea how complex it would be.
    3A fine, normal porosity
    Drpjfitz said:
    Hi Curly_kc—do you still use any of the Aveda products?
    Yes, I'm hooked on their rewards program. I usually keep a bottle of their Brilliant Damage Control Spray, the Phomollient mousse, and then their Air Control hair spray. I use these products when I straighten my hair very occasionally. They are CG friendly. If I need a silicone when I straighten my hair with my round brush and blow dryer, I use the Damage Remedy Daily Hair Repair as a leave-in and heat protectant. 

I don't use Aveda though when I am following my curly girl method routine. Silicones and heavier products take the curl out of my hair and leave it more prone to frizz, unless I am straightening it.

Thanks for the info, curly_kc! I’m not used to having to think about my hair at all so this is another world.
    3A fine, normal porosity
    @Curlagogo Thank you for sharing your experience! I’m definitely looking for moisturizing and you’re not the first person I’ve heard say that Aveda products are drying. I just used Raw Curls today and am very impressed! All organic and my hair is so soft but defined curls. 
    3A fine, normal porosity

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file