Shampoo recommendation

greekgoddessgreekgoddess Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I have Low porosity hair. I have been using Suave Clarifying Shampoo every 2-3 days but it was causing my hair to be so dry. I switched to a sulphate Free shampoo and I have build up although my curls look fabulous. I need a little bit of suds but not drying. Help.
Long: Fine, low porosity 3b curls
Shampoo: Suave clarifying 
Low sulphate shampoo: Elucence Moisture benefits, Not Your Mother’s Curl defining 
Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Pumpkin, Elucence Moisture balancing, GVP Conditioning Balm
Leave in: Curls Blueberry Bliss
Cream: Amika Curl cream, Ag recoil
Gel: Giovanni 

Comments

• KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 206Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I clarify about once a week to deal with build up, then deep condition to replace the moisture and other stuff I just stripped out that I didn't want to, but couldn't be helped, lol.

So try your Suave Clarifying,  then DC and see if that helps. 

I'm sorry I don't have any stronger sulfate free shampoo rec's, I'll be watching this thread for them as well. 
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

• greekgoddessgreekgoddess Posts: 494Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thank you for your response. Not sure if my low porosity hair can do well with no sulphate at all. The curl definition looks fantastic but my scalp is full of buildup greasy spots. The Suave works well but I think maybe I need to be more careful with it getting on my ends so yesterday I put conditioner all over length and shampood just scalp. Hope others might have more suggestions too.
    Low sulphate shampoo: Elucence Moisture benefits, Not Your Mother’s Curl defining 
    Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Pumpkin, Elucence Moisture balancing, GVP Conditioning Balm
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 890Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I haven't tried it, but Shea Moisture has a low porosity line. However, some here dislike shea butter. Even with it, a sulfate every so often will help you.
    Thanks BrittanyM. I use their Curl Enhancing Smoothie. I have tried the Shampoo (wasn't too crazy about it) and also their leave in and wasn't crazy about the smell.
  • beantreesbeantrees Posts: 116Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    The SM curl enhancing smoothie might be contributing to your buildup. I use it often and have to be careful how much - and my hair can take a lot of product before feeling greasy.  It's a really heavy product. 

Have you tried AG Recoil shampoo?  I really like it...very sudsy, a little goes a long way, sulfate-free, and makes my hair feel clean but not dry. 

2C/3A, med/coarse, thick density, high porosity - CG since 5/17/2018
    Earlobe length on one side and pixie short in back and other side.  Growing out to chin/jaw length.
    Cleanse: Inecto Coconut Conditioner, SM JBCO shampoo
    RO Condition: SM Curl & Shine
    DT: SM JBCO masque
    LI: SM JBCO leave in, Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    Stylers: AG Recoil or SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie or SM Curl & Style Milk, Carina Organics gel

I thought the Curl Enhancing Smoothie could be it, but am not sure what to use for my Low porosity hair. I have the AG Recoil curl cream too, but sometimes end up with flakes which isn't compatible with my leave in. I will have to check out the shampoo. Thanks so much for your response.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,637Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Not Your Mother's Naturals has some good low-poo shampoos.  I have the pink one, and I think it's very moisturizing.  Right now I'm using Jessicurl Gentle Lather.  I probably won't buy it again - not enough suds for me.  I've also used (and like) Deva Curl Low Poo.  Giovanni is good too.  With any of these, I still have to clarify every couple weeks.  But I just use a gentle sulfate shampoo (Aveda, although any nice shampoo with sulfates and no silicones should work).  I haven't used that particular Suave, but I have used that brand in the past - it's super harsh on my hair. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I use Living Proof Restore line.  It has a low-poo that suds well - I hate not having suds.  It does not dry out my hair at all.  I rarely need to clarify - I don't use products with lots of butters, which may help not having buildup.

The Restore line has a bit of protein, so you may not like that, but their other products may have less protein.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    Thank you so much for your suggestions! Now I need to find a protein free curl cream. It is a new post but haven't really had any responses.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file