How can I get the top of my head to curl like the bottom?

nbaraninbarani Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
I have thick 2c/3a curly hair and am of Mediterranean origins. I struggle with with getting the top of my head to curl as it it pin straight until about 3in down. From then on its super curly. It is very unflattering and causes me to be hesitant to wear my hair natural. I have tried layers, diffusing (even the upside down version) and countless products. I am at a loss of what to do, as  I do not want to constantly have to wear my hair up. If anyone has dealt with the problem in the past, or knows of a solution, please let me know :)

Answers

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Do you scrunch your hair all the way to the root before diffusing? I scrunch my hair for quite a while before diffusing, to try to get the roots to curl as much as possible. It takes quite a bit of scrunching, at least in my case.

You could try not putting conditioner (or not putting as much conditioner) on the roots. You could also try using a root lift product (I use Living Proof's root lift). You could try spraying the roots with sea salt spray or a volumizing spray before diffusing. 

It may also simply be the length of your hair. If your hair is thick, it is probably heavy, and the weight of it might be pulling out the root curl.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • themrs007themrs007 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 12 Curl Neophyte
    What kind of layers is your stylist giving you? My roots used to always lay flat without mousse and a round brush (I know, I know). I used to ask for layers and they would be cut almost to blend, so there wouldn’t be as much weight on the bottom, but you’d never be able to tell they were there unless I wore a braid.

I started asking for disconnected layers a few months ago and not only did the shape around my face improve, but so did the volume at my roots. The bottom layer also looks more full and less thin than before. 
    2a/b hair that just started it’s journey. High porosity, medium thickness and density.

Low Poo: Shea Moisture Curl & Shine Shampoo
    Rinse Out: DevaCurl One Condition Original
    Deep Condish: Biotera 3-Min Balm
    Leave In: Shea Moisture Curl & Style Milk
    Styling: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie, Shea Moisture Curling Gel Soufflé, DevaCurl Arc AnGEL
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Have you tried using clips on the roots?  I know there are several videos on youtube for clipping your roots.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file