Poofy hair and extreme dryness in the summer - any advice?

CurlyD24CurlyD24 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 83 Curl Connoisseur
My hair has been so poofy in the last weeks. I think it is the very high heat and humidity. My old products were not working very well anymore but I finished them and I recently switched to using Innersense. I use the Color Radiance Condish, QCCC and I create hold. 
These products are amazing and they gave me beautiful defined and shiny curls. However, it barely holds for a day. Yesterday it looked perfect, and started becoming poofy in the evening. I usually just wet it a bit with my hands and it brings some of the definition back. But the next morning, it poofs up so bad and it looks completely undefined ! 
I have stopped using low-poos: I never thought I would switch to cowash only but shampoo (even sulfate free and super gentle) has made my hair extremely dry. I also thought I needed to clarify so I used a low-poo with saponified shea butter and this stuff dried my hair out so bad. 
How do you guys fight extreme dryness and poofiness in the summer - should I try using a leave-in? oil treatment? Something else? I just want my hair to look at least presentable so I don't have to wash every day. 
2c/3a hair, with some 2b and 3b pieces. Armpit length, medium porosity, fine. Light brown with blonde and red highlights. CG since January 2018. 
Shampoo: Camille Rose Ginger Cleansing Rinse 
Co-wash: MopTop Co-wash 
Conditioner: Innersense Color Radiance 
Stylers: Innersense Quiet Calm, Innersense I Create Hold, MopTop Custard 

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    If your hair is dry, it will poof as it reaches out to the moisture in the air--so I would try doing a deep conditioning treatment with a conditioner that you like. Just leave it on your hair from 10 to 30 minutes. If your hair is prone to getting overmoisturized, then I would just do 10 minutes and see how that goes. (If your hair gets overmoisturized, then it will really have a hard time holding its curl.)

You could add a little bit of leave-in if you feel that your hair needs it. You could start with just a little bit, like a pea-sized amount, and work up from there if you get good results.

After getting your hair well moisturized, the most important thing is to create a barrier between your hair and the humid air. For me, that means LOTS of hard-hold gel, and the gel can't have aloe or glycerin high up on the ingredients list. Have you tried upping the amount of gel that you use? You might have to use an obscene amount.

I also spray a hairspray on my hair after I'm done diffusing. I spray some on the roots (I lift up sections of hair and spray at the roots) and also over the canopy. This adds an additional barrier against the humidity.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • CurlyD24CurlyD24 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 83 Curl Connoisseur
    @Therese1, thanks so much for your response ! I will definitely try using more gel. I've been deep conditioning very often and it seems to help for a day or two, but then the poofiness comes right back. Ugh, it's so annoying. I'll keep deep conditioning as much as possible. 
    2c/3a hair, with some 2b and 3b pieces. Armpit length, medium porosity, fine. Light brown with blonde and red highlights. CG since January 2018. 
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    If you continue with poofy hair that is frizzy, tangly, and unmanageable, you may need to clarify with a sulfate.
    Check your ingredients for high listing of glycerine as this can cause puffy hair in humidity. Honey is another humectant (what glycerine is and draws in moisture from atmosphere). Second the hard hold gel.
    edited July 2018
    @BrittanyM, thank you very much for your answer ! I thought I needed to clarify too, that is why I used the shampoo with saponified shea butter. But that made my hair even poofier and dryer - which makes me think I should not try the sulfate. But it might actually be severe buildup, so I'm not sure what to do. 
    Maybe the sulfate would at least give me a clean slate to start over and add moisture back in. My hair doesn't actually feel dry when I touch it - it just looks dry due to the poofiness and lack of definition. 
    I personally find a sulfate every once in a while to be beneficial to my hair in ridding build up. its not drying if followed by your best DC. But I don't know your hair; I thought I'd mention just in case.
    @BrittanyM, I think I'm going to try and clarify tomorrow! If that doesn't work, I'll just keep doing deep conditioning treatments and try a leave in as well as lots and lots of gel :smile:  
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    I tried all those Innersense products too, and got severe build up from all the shea butter.  Every one of them has shea, and then you clarified with more shea - it could just be overloaded.  When I had the build up (but didn't realize that's what it was) my conditioner felt like it wasn't working any more.  I had to keep adding more and more, and still my hair didn't feel right.  My hair was feeling dry and tangled, and I had to keep using more products, but then my hair would feel heavy and limp.

Try a regular sulfate shampoo.  You might need to repeat it 2 or 3 times to get it all out.  Also - saponified means soap.  Soap causes soap scum.  Bad for showers, bad for hair.  Might be nice for your skin, but not hair.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    After you clarify try spritzing your hair with water daily or when it starts to feel dry.  Water is the only way to moisturize your hair, everything else just helps keep the moisture in.

I also have been really liking the Ouidad Climate Control Hard Hold Gel
    https://www.ulta.com/advanced-climate-control-gel-stronger-hold?productId=xlsImpprod18091217

2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    So I clarified with what I had in hand, since I am visiting my partner's family for the week and I didn't bring shampoo. I used the Neutrogena extra strength therapeutic shampoo for itchy scalps. I think this was pretty heavy duty!! After conditioning and styling my hair felt a bit better. Still poofy in the back, but less producty. 
    Today I co-washed with MopTop and conditioned with a mix of the Innersense Color Radiance and the Acure Deep Root conditioner. I changed my product application method (again!). I applied more of the QCC than I usually do, probably a quarter size amount on each side of my head. I did that standing upright, tilting my head to one side and applying with the praying hands method. Repeat on the other side. I scrunched about the same amout of gel on each side. My hair seems to be drying without poofiness and better definition, no dryness ! I think the clarifying poo really helped to allow the moisture back in. I'm thinking of doing a combination of co-washing and clarifying every two weeks now. Let's see how it goes from now on ! Thanks everyone for your input, you are all so knowledgeable ! This forum saves me every time. 

Clarifying is a life saver. I only do it once a month but low poo every week. There really isn't enough awareness that all products can build up and cause our hair to be drier.
    @BrittanyM , you are definitely right. When I started, I thought only silicones would build up on the hair. Now that I think about it, in the last weeks I had kept slathering my hair in conditioner and braiding it to go to sleep, then co-washing the next day. No wonder I had such bad buildup. 
    @Guide 65, you were right. I actually had to wash my hair with the sulfate poo twice again to remove all the buildup. After the sulfate, I only applied two pumps of the conditioner and a dime-size amount of QCC to my hair. I finished it up with about 3 pumps of I create Hold. These were some of the best curls I had in a long time! Innersense products are indeed super concentrated. I'm really used to slathering tons of conditioner and cream on my hair because it usually absorbs it really well (until it builds up!!). But these products are a different story, I really need to use less. 
  • DrpjfitzDrpjfitz Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 72 Curl Connoisseur
    This is very interesting! Are there certain sulfate shampoos that work better as clarifying?
    3A fine, normal porosity
    No specific products as of yet—still trying to figure out what works for my hair 
  • Ashe0000Ashe0000 Registered Users Posts: 32 Curl Novice
    My hair has been doing this as well.  I live in the Midwest and it is so toasty here!  I agree that clarifying works!  I gave DevaCurl another shot and have been using the Low-Poo and have truly underestimated how great it has been for my hair.  But, yeah...my hair is just being so disobedient! I am going to use Quantum clarifying shampoo as it has a chelating system built in too.  2 birds, 1 stone.

also?  Look at the humectants in your products— stuff like glycerin and honey will snag water from the air and cause poofyness too. 
    @Ashe0000, that's true ! most of my products have humectants, which explains the frizz in the summer. 
    @Drpjfitz, I have no idea to be honest :smile: but anything that says 'clarifying' or 'anti-residue' will probably be more heavy duty I think. Just watch out for silicones ! 

• ChescaCatChescaCat Registered Users Posts: 12 Curl Novice
    Today in Vancouver it is over 30 degrees and 89% humidity. I have been conditioning my hair every other day then once a week (sometimes less) shampooing only my roots. Devacurl Archangel gel works very well for definition and hold as well as Davine's curl serum to moisturize and touch up curls the next day. .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file