New to transitioning! Whats my hair type and what products to use?

nellybellenellybelle Registered Users Posts: 7 Curl Neophyte
Hi friends! 

I need help with a couple of things! Two years ago my hair was going through transitioning, but I was getting these curls (first picture with pink hair) almost as soon as I stopped using heat and did the Curly Girl Method. What would you consider that hair type to be?

Since then I did a big hair cut, bleached it a lot and used a lot of heat on it. I feel awful about that. Its really damaged. I stopped using heat and started the curly girl method again, but my curls just will not come back. See the bottom two photos with the bob hair cut. What would you consider by curl type to be now? 

What am I doing wrong? What products should I be using to get my curls back? I am not sure if I just need to give it more time or if I haven't been using the right products/methods with my hair. Please help! 

I was my hair once a week with sulphate free shampoo and using silicone free conditioner. Then I deep condition every week too using Shea Moisture. I have also done one Aphogee Protein Treatment. For styling I have been putting leave in conditioner in my hair in the shower, scrunching it in while completely wet then I scrunch in some gel. I use a Tshirt to scrunch out the moisture, plop for 10 minutes and then let it hair dry for 5 hours before scrunching out the crunch. Im always left with this messy kinda not straight not wavy not curly mess. 

Best Answer

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Bleach is damaging. I bleach my hair platinum now but when I started it these are the steps I took.
    Pre poo before every wash. You can even try it before co washing but be warned it may not remove it all or even get to the point where you don't need to anymore. Coconut oil soaks overnight before washing your hair really do help.
    Speaking of co washing, do it often but alternate between low poo. Deep condition after every low poo wash.
    Protein treatments are always good. Aphogee 2 step is supposedly miraculous, but I never noticed a difference or was wowed by it.
    Try to rinse 80% of your rinse out or deep conditioner out leaving 20% or so on the ends. I hold my ends and scrub at my roots while rinsing, this removes the product at the root but leaves a little bit in the ends.
    Look into LOC. I use a leave in and a creme with a drop of oil mixed in followed by hard hold gel to retain moisture.
    I do all of this still except Pre poo because my hair got to the point it didn't do anything anymore. If your hair starts to tangle and frizz more than usual, sulfate clarify and deep condition.
    Right now, you look like you have 2a hair when before it was 2b/c. Definitely don't use heat and try to stop bleaching for six months or longer just to give your hair a break. Best of luck!

Answers

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    You probably have a lot of damage to your hair.  Have you tried Olaplex?  That may help.  You hair may need more than just 1 protein treatment and weekly DC.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • nellybellenellybelle Registered Users Posts: 7 Curl Neophyte
    You probably have a lot of damage to your hair.  Have you tried Olaplex?  That may help.  You hair may need more than just 1 protein treatment and weekly DC.
    I actually just picked up some Olaplex! I am going to use it asap. 

How frequently do you think I should do Protein Treatments? And how frequently should I use Olaplex? 
    BrittanyM said:
    Bleach is damaging. I bleach my hair platinum now but when I started it these are the steps I took.
    Pre poo before every wash. You can even try it before co washing but be warned it may not remove it all or even get to the point where you don't need to anymore. Coconut oil soaks overnight before washing your hair really do help.
    Speaking of co washing, do it often but alternate between low poo. Deep condition after every low poo wash.
    Protein treatments are always good. Aphogee 2 step is supposedly miraculous, but I never noticed a difference or was wowed by it.
    Try to rinse 80% of your rinse out or deep conditioner out leaving 20% or so on the ends. I hold my ends and scrub at my roots while rinsing, this removes the product at the root but leaves a little bit in the ends.
    Look into LOC. I use a leave in and a creme with a drop of oil mixed in followed by hard hold gel to retain moisture.
    I do all of this still except Pre poo because my hair got to the point it didn't do anything anymore. If your hair starts to tangle and frizz more than usual, sulfate clarify and deep condition.
    Right now, you look like you have 2a hair when before it was 2b/c. Definitely don't use heat and try to stop bleaching for six months or longer just to give your hair a break. Best of luck!
    This is so insightful! Can I ask you some questions about what you posted? 

• Can I pre-poo with a deep conditioner? Do you do it all over the hair or just the ends? I can absolutely sleep in coconut oil. 
    • Do you wet the hair to pre-poo?
    • I have never tried cowashing, but I think it would be very beneficial. Will any non-silicone/sulphate conditioner work for this? 
    • I think LOC might be helpful too. What type of oil do you use? 
    • And also, bleach killed my hair, I am not going to be touching it for some time. At least 6 months to a year. You mentioned that you bleach your hair now. Is there a way to do it that reduces the amount of damage it does? 

• Can I pre-poo with a deep conditioner? Do you do it all over the hair or just the ends? I can absolutely sleep in coconut oil.
    I pre-poo with coconut oil all over my hair. Sometimes I switch it up to castor oil, but those two are the only ones I ever cared for. Olive oil is good as well.
    • Do you wet the hair to pre-poo?
    No, dry hair is best.
    • I have never tried cowashing, but I think it would be very beneficial. Will any non-silicone/sulphate conditioner work for this? 
    Cowash with any cheap silicone free conditioner (I used Suave Essentials Coconut one for the longest). Do be careful with pre-poo and cowash. It did help my hair at first, but the conditioner did eventually stop removing all the oil.
    • I think LOC might be helpful too. What type of oil do you use?
    One drop of Almond Oil. Seriously, one drop mixed into my cream is enough. Start with one drop and work up each wash day if you feel you need more. Grapeseed is another light oil, but I find it heavier than Almond Oil. Jojoba oil is a similar oil to what our scalp naturally produces, but I haven't tried it yet.
    • And also, bleach killed my hair, I am not going to be touching it for some time. At least 6 months to a year. You mentioned that you bleach your hair now. Is there a way to do it that reduces the amount of damage it does?
    Touchy subject for me right now. Haha. So I bleach my roots myself. I use Olaplex no 1 and no 2. I ensure that I deep condition once a week. My hair is dark blonde so one round of 30 vol on my head for 45 min ensures that my hair lifts to white (I don't even have to use toner because my hair is so light). The important part is to ensure YOU DO NOT OVERLAP onto previously lightened hair. This will at the best, ruin the curl pattern. At worst, your hair will break. Even with babying your hair, bleach still damages. I have 2b/c hair. Without bleach, my hair would be 3a.
    As a bit of therapy for me, I recently went to a salon to have my roots retouched. The stylist proceeded to use a high volume developer with no Olaplex because she doesn't like it. My scalp burned so bad (it never burns when I do it). She also overlapped. I have breakage now and when I first left the salon, burns on my scalp. I need a hair cut to mitigate the breakage that occurred and am still deciding if I even want to continue bleaching my hair. The breakage stopped after several rounds of Olaplex and protein treatments.My hair is back to being soft but I am still sore about the whole thing considering I tried to tell the stylist what I do and why.
    For you, sleep in Olaplex no 3 once or twice a month at the start. I will caution you to try not to get Olaplex on your virgin hair as it can make it resistant to bleach if you decide you want to color your hair in the future. It won't hurt your virgin hair and will make it healthier but it can make hair resistant. Alternate protein and moisture treatments every other week. Don't be too hard on yourself following a routine because you will exhaust yourself. Apologies for the long posts. By the way, how were you removing your color?
    @BrittanyM Wow, you have been so incredibly helpful, thank you so much.

I am horrified at that hairdresser doing that to your hair though. 

The picture with the super bright pink hair was taken about a year and a half ago. I did a big chop and had a mohawk dyed black for a few months and then started growing it out again. When I went to bleach it again there were about three inches of bleached hair (dyed over with black) and an inch or two of my virgin hair dyed black. So the ends took a real beating and even crumbled away. I just chopped off two inches a month ago so most of the completely fried ends are gone. But theres still a ton of damage. The current bleached hair has totally seen 40 vol more than once. I am never doing it more than once again and not without an oil treatment first. 

To colour my hair I just mix manic panic with conditioner, so over time it just fades to the colour you see in the pictures. To go from that bright pink to the pale purple/pink colour is about 4 months between adding colour and not touching it up. So I don't bleach the colour out or remove it as such. 
    Ok I was wondering. I think there is a lot of misconception about bleaching out color. I see a lot of people trying to bleach out semi permanent colors. Have you ever tried using 30 volume the first time followed by a longer session of 20 volume. 40 volume works but I see it mostly being used on resistant, Asian hair. 30 tends to give controlled lift where as 20 volume works slower but longer if that makes sense. I am not a hair stylist, just wondering how your hair reacts.
     @BrittanyM you know, I have never tried it. I always just assumed I needed to use 40 vol since my hair is pretty dark. If I bleach it again several months from now I might try 30 vol and see how it goes. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file