Clarifying and no-poo shampoo frequency

Pree990Pree990 Posts: 28Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
Hi everyone,

I find that my scalp has been getting greasier these days but I've also experimented with a lot of products recently so I might have buildup (it has also gotten super hot and humid lately so there's that).  I wash my hair 1-2x/week with TJ's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo but I see that it's included on the list of recommended clarifying shampoos.  Does that mean that I shouldn't clarify with something more intense every 3 weeks or so?  Is Tea Tree Tingle not a gentle enough shampoo to be using once a week?  I bought the VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze clarifying shampoo and was planning to use it soon to see if it revives my roots so they aren't as flat.

I should mention that I have type 2A hair.  I've discovered that my hair isn't that dry or frizzy now that I've been using CG friendly stuff.   I stopped using leave in conditioners because I think they were weighing my hair down too much.  I shampoo and use VO5 strawberries and cream conditioner and scrunch gel in and my frizz is minimal provided I don't touch my hair as it dries. 

Best Answer

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,407 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Is this the product? https://www.amazon.com/Trader-Joes-Peppermint-Eucalyptus-Botanicals/dp/B002LMBLTY

The product contains sodium C12-14 olefin sulfonate, which is a very good clarifier (on par with a sulfate), but it is near the bottom of the ingredients list, which makes me wonder how much is in there. I personally like to have two clarifying shampoos on hand, one with a sulfate and one with C12-14 olefin sulfonate, because sometimes build-up responds better to one than the other.

So I would say that the answer to your question is, it depends. I would definitely try a sulfate shampoo and see how your hair responds. If your hair does not feel dry using the Tea Tree Tingle once or twice a week, I would certainly continue to use it, because it is apparently not overly harsh on your hair.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Answers

• Pree990Pree990 Posts: 28Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    Hi Therese,

Yep that's the product.  It doesn't dry my hair out and I like the tingly refreshing feeling. I'm gonna go ahead and clarify with VO5 and see how I do.

Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file