Help! Ive been CG method for over 5 years and my hair just keeps getting worse!

angela.ovenangela.oven Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
Hey! 
Ive been using the CG method for a few years now, and recently - id say the past 6 months especially - my hair has gotten quite dry, and tangling a lot easier then it used to. Ive been craving for soft bouncy curls and I cant seem to find anything that works. Ive tried cutting my hair, changing my products up, styling differently you name it! I even switched away from deva curl and tried Shea Moisture and that made my hair even worse! I cant even get my fingers to my scalp without feeling like my hair is going to rip out which has never happened! Ive started back with Deva Curl (holy grail product am i right??) But still, my hair is quite dry and just blah. Any tips on what im doing wrong or why my hair hasnt gotten any healthier in the past few years of cutting everything your supposed to out of your daily hair care??? 
Thanks so much! 
angela
Curl type: 3a
Low porosity
Medium density - dunno if thats right though
thickness - coarse, again don't know if this is right because I would categorize my hair has fine 

Answers

• SadNapsSadNaps Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    Have you been using the curly girl method and for the last 5 years it worked and out of nowhere it stopped working? 
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Have you clarified with a sulfate shampoo recently? All products, even CG-approved ones, will cause build-up on the hair eventually. Many of us on the forum use a sulfate shampoo every now and then to cleanse the hair from build-up.

Another possibility is that your hair has become protein sensitive. Deva Curl products are generally very high in protein, and some people report dry hair after using these products for a while. Shea Moisture products sometimes cause a problem for people because the shea butter can have a drying effect on hair.

I would clarify and then consider omitting protein from your regimen for a couple of weeks and see if your hair gets any better. I would also do a deep conditioning treatment with a protein-free conditioner to try to moisturize your hair, since it sounds like it is dry.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    @Therese1 has you covered. Clarify with sulfate then deep condition. Buildup is real.
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Do you live in a hard water area?

https://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2016/03/hard-water-and-your-hair.html

If you do you may want to look for a clarifying shampoo that will also take care of hard water.

Science-y Hair Blog is a great hair blog that has tons of great information.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file