Type 3a hair dropping - Now starting the CG Method. What Shea Moisture products should I use?

NicolaJaneNicolaJane Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
edited July 2018 in Hair Type 3
Hi everyone...Need your advice. My hair is between 2c and 3a. I am new to the curly girl method and within the last month or so my hair started dropping drastically (I have long hair) - due to a hair product I started using (NOT CG approved). After doing quite a bit of reading, I am leaning towards the Shea Moisture Coconut and Hibiscus and Jamaican Black Castor Oil products. Can anyone give me some feedback on this please? As well as any products I can use to stimulate hair growth.

Many thanks!

Answers

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Don't do it.

There are lots of posts here from people that have sworn off Shea Moisture.  It has lots of heavy butters that can weigh your hair down and leave you with buildup.

I would suggest looking into the Curls line or Camille Rose Naturals.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • beantreesbeantrees Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 116 Curl Connoisseur
    Personally, I've really enjoyed SM products so far but my hair is very dense, somewhat coarse, and I think it might be high porosity (or medium-high maybe), so it doesn't really get weighed down easily.  I like the JBCO line so far (have tried the conditioner, shampoo, leave-in which I use every day, and deep treatment), and have also been using the Raw Shea Butter conditioner and deep treatment masque, both of which I like, though I need a lot of the DT to feel like there's anything in my hair.  I also occasionally use the Curl Enhancing Smoothie and like it, though a little goes a long way.  It's great for scrunching when hair is dry IMO.  

I have the coconut and hibiscus conditioner on its way, and the curl and style milk - will receive in a few days but never tried them before.

The reason I bought them was because they are available in Canada, inexpensive, CG, and don't test on animals.  There aren't that many products that fit all those criteria!
    2C/3A, med/coarse, thick density, high porosity - CG since 5/17/2018
    Earlobe length on one side and pixie short in back and other side.  Growing out to chin/jaw length.
    Cleanse: Inecto Coconut Conditioner, SM JBCO shampoo
    RO Condition: SM Curl & Shine
    DT: SM JBCO masque
    LI: SM JBCO leave in, Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    Stylers: AG Recoil or SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie or SM Curl & Style Milk, Carina Organics gel

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    I have 2b/c hair with high porosity, and I love Shea Moisture! If you experience build up (and I am convinced all products cause build up), a monthly sulfate will take care of it. Use the JBCO line if you have damaged hair. I really like all the Shea Moisture deep conditioners. The JBCO leave in (ironically not moisturizing enough for me... too heavy for others) and shampoo (drying) are not my favorite though. The Manuka Honey and Mafura Line is the best ever!
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    What do you mean by "dropping"?  Is your hair falling out, or are the curls elongated?

I can't use shea butter at all in my hair, and SM is chock full of it.  It'll build up immediately in my hair, and all my curls will be weighed down and droopy, and my hair will feel dirty all the time.  I was recently using a product that had shea in it, and within 3 days I could feel all the build up in it.  My conditioner stopped working, my hair felt dirty and tangly, it just looked awful.  It took 3 clarifying washes to get it all out.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    Do you experience buildup easily, @Guide 65? Are you low porosity? Just wondering because we both have wavy hair, but my high porosity loves Shea Butter though I do clarify once a month to avoid build up.
  • NicolaJaneNicolaJane Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks everyone for your feedback! I have high porosity hair...i will take my chances with the SM products...if it doesn't work I'll let you guys know. 
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    I also have high porosity hair although my hair is more 2c with a little 3a (some few curls in front) and SM was the worst product I ever tried on my hair.  Made it dirty, sticky, etc.  Do let us know if it works out well for you.  
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    BrittanyM said:
    Do you experience buildup easily, @Guide 65? Are you low porosity? Just wondering because we both have wavy hair, but my high porosity loves Shea Butter though I do clarify once a month to avoid build up.
    Yep and yep.  I just clarified because I had really bad build up - it took me 3 shampoos to get it all out.  And then I refreshed yesterday - I used a product with shea butter.  Arggh!!  I forgot this product had shea in it.  My hair drooped, and now I'm going to have to clarify yet again. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    Ingredients are sneaky. Going forward for me, it's worth remembering Shea butter may be an issue for others. I find it fascinating that hair reacts so differently to different ingredients. As curly pearl said, she has high porosity like me but it still doesn't work.
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I can have some shea butter in products and do OK. When my hair was high porosity, it loved shea butter. Another case of trial and error to find what works for you!
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file