4a/4b Hair Perceptions

CurlyJKCurlyJK Registered Users Posts: 62 Curl Connoisseur
I've recently been growing my hair out, and I've been told that it resembles Lenny Kravitz's hair. Now I'm confused. I've been told online that I have primarily 4a hair. Doesn't Mr. Kravitz have 4b hair though?

Lenny Kravitz: 

Me:

Comments

• CurlyJKCurlyJK Registered Users Posts: 62 Curl Connoisseur
    edited June 2018
    Hair freshly washed & conditioned (to make my "4a" curl pattern more visible)

Bump
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    I'd say your hair is more like a 4B.  It's hard to tell because your hair is dark in these pictures.  Lenny Kravitz' hair has more separation at the tips than yours.  I don't know if there's something you can do to encourage that. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    edited June 2018
    Guide 65 said:
    I'd say your hair is more like a 4B.  It's hard to tell because your hair is dark in these pictures.  Lenny Kravitz' hair has more separation at the tips than yours.  I don't know if there's something you can do to encourage that. 
    Thanks for the response.

Yeah my curls were definitely defined, it might be harder to see the full extent of the definition because of the lighting and the higher density of my hair. I was thinking my hair was something like a 4a/4b. When I pull my hair back it even has sheen, kind of like 4a hair. I actually saw a wash and go video of his, and his hair doesn't seem to change at all when wet. My wet curls definitely loosen quite a bit.

Here's a photo I took some time ago that shows my hair with a little background light. The sides/back were matted.

edited June 2018
  • StillunsureonmycurltypeStillunsureonmycurltype Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 92 Curl Connoisseur
    Lenny “looks” more of a 4B with possibly 4C and 4A in the mix, your hair looks closer to 4A.

But keep in mind curl pattern is subjective, I’ve been asked if I have 3B and I have also been asked if I have 4A when I say 3C they don’t further comment on it other than “Looks like a #X curl type to me” Also some sources give a different input such as the As I Am Naturally:

“Hair typing refers to the amount of texture hair has. Naturally straight hair is Type 1, loose-wavy hair is type 2, curly hair is type 3 and coily hair is type 4. In the case of types 3 and 4, the sub-classificatiions from a - c, are based upon the diameter of the curl or coil. For instance a type 3a curl may have the diameter of a nickle, a 3b, like a dime. Type 4, which is very typical among African descent people, ranges from the diameter of a pencil eraser (4a), to the diameter of an ink pen spring (4b), and even smaller than that, (4c). In some cases, hair may even have a tight z zigzag pattern with no coil at all. The coil pattern of Type 4 hair is easily defined via 2-strand twisting, (which is then gently untwisted). Larger-diameter coils and curls can be defined this way and also with loose gels, (e.g. As I Am Curling Jelly) for Wash n' Go styling.

This site ignores the newer 3C but gives you an idea of what to base 3C on.

Also, not even hair stylists will come to a conclusion since it’s all guess work. The average person would say it’s either straight, wavy, curly or kinky. Some would be in between and would come to Swavy, Swirly, and Coily. Then on top of that, not everyone actually fits the mold of each curl pattern.

I have a family member who has multiple patterns on their head but is predominantly a 2C/3A. Depending on how she styles her hair determines what it will look like

Also keep in mind it’s not specified what exactly has to be the circumference of what they are basing the curl pattern on. Some say sidewalk chalk signifies a 3A, but what exactly specifies that? The barrel of the curl? The outside of the Curl? 

So, I say this as a way to basically put it, curl pattern doesn’t really matter because there is no true consensus on what a curl pattern is. Some will say it’s this big, others will say it’s this small, it’s this springy it’s this texture, etc. 2 with the same curl pattern will not always look alike due to density, porosity, elasticity, protein to moisture balance, etc.

But if your insist on wondering what your hair might look like in the future Naprtual85 if you have her hair type, ignoring the pattern, but just having her hair type (Density, Porosity etc).
    Lenny “looks” more of a 4B with possibly 4C and 4A in the mix, your hair looks closer to 4A.

But keep in mind curl pattern is subjective, I’ve been asked if I have 3B and I have also been asked if I have 4A when I say 3C they don’t further comment on it other than “Looks like a #X curl type to me” Also some sources give a different input such as the As I Am Naturally:

“Hair typing refers to the amount of texture hair has. Naturally straight hair is Type 1, loose-wavy hair is type 2, curly hair is type 3 and coily hair is type 4. In the case of types 3 and 4, the sub-classificatiions from a - c, are based upon the diameter of the curl or coil. For instance a type 3a curl may have the diameter of a nickle, a 3b, like a dime. Type 4, which is very typical among African descent people, ranges from the diameter of a pencil eraser (4a), to the diameter of an ink pen spring (4b), and even smaller than that, (4c). In some cases, hair may even have a tight z zigzag pattern with no coil at all. The coil pattern of Type 4 hair is easily defined via 2-strand twisting, (which is then gently untwisted). Larger-diameter coils and curls can be defined this way and also with loose gels, (e.g. As I Am Curling Jelly) for Wash n' Go styling.

This site ignores the newer 3C but gives you an idea of what to base 3C on.

Also, not even hair stylists will come to a conclusion since it’s all guess work. The average person would say it’s either straight, wavy, curly or kinky. Some would be in between and would come to Swavy, Swirly, and Coily. Then on top of that, not everyone actually fits the mold of each curl pattern.

I have a family member who has multiple patterns on their head but is predominantly a 2C/3A. Depending on how she styles her hair determines what it will look like

Also keep in mind it’s not specified what exactly has to be the circumference of what they are basing the curl pattern on. Some say sidewalk chalk signifies a 3A, but what exactly specifies that? The barrel of the curl? The outside of the Curl? 

So, I say this as a way to basically put it, curl pattern doesn’t really matter because there is no true consensus on what a curl pattern is. Some will say it’s this big, others will say it’s this small, it’s this springy it’s this texture, etc. 2 with the same curl pattern will not always look alike due to density, porosity, elasticity, protein to moisture balance, etc.

But if your insist on wondering what your hair might look like in the future Naprtual85 if you have her hair type, ignoring the pattern, but just having her hair type (Density, Porosity etc).
    Good point. Maybe people just say our hair is similar because we both appear to have high density, and coils at the same time. Makes sense, because I've been compared to both 3C's and 4B's before, so curl pattern alone must be hard to distinguish with an untrained eye.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    @Stillunsureonmycurltype, great answer.  It's such an inexact science, and knowing exactly which hair type you have doesn't really do anything for you in the long run.  And on top of that, it can change depending on how you treat it, which products you use, or even just a change in the weather.  I can have nearly straight hair with nothing more than a slight bend at the ends (without the use of a flat iron), or I can have actual curly hair.  But most often it falls in the wavy category.  Or the frizzy messy category LOL.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file