Style help for first hair cut/trim

giftedorganistgiftedorganist Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 4 Curl Neophyte
Hello all!

I'm looking for advice on a haircut/style for my son.  He turned 4 recently and was promised he could get his first haircut.  While I am really reluctant, I know he is aware enough to know when people are complimenting him but saying she/her because of the length and the length and the curls.  He gives me that look like...they did it again dad!! UGH!! My wife was on the same page until one day she came home and had also reached a point where she said, ENOUGH! So months ago, I relented and promised to get him a cut when he turned 4...which happened this week.    

So now I need some advice from fellow curlies/parents of curlies on style/cut that will allow both of us to be happy.  My child is a boy's boy, manly man.  He looks up to me and my dad fiercely and wants his hair like ours....only problem is we both rock the bald style.  I don't want to make the choice i did with my other son and buzz all the curls off (age 2) to the point they're not ever coming back.  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Here are a few pics of his hair in various stages of styled (or not).  The first two pics are what his hair looks like without conditioning or hair lotion of any kind over a two day period.  After that it's from right out of the shower to typical days of morning conditioning/lotion.

Thanks so much in advance!

Answers

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome!  Your son is adorable and his curls are to die for. I understand where he's coming from, though. 
    Here're some ideas for men's curly hair cuts... maybe one or two would work for your son? 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/home/top-10-curly-haircuts-for-men

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • giftedorganistgiftedorganist Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 4 Curl Neophyte
    Gretchen said:
    Welcome!  Your son is adorable and his curls are to die for. I understand where he's coming from, though. 
    Here're some ideas for men's curly hair cuts... maybe one or two would work for your son? 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/home/top-10-curly-haircuts-for-men

Thanks Gretchen!

Let me add that we have been scouring the web for ideas/inspiration, but I continue to struggle with what look works best for his hair type.  We'd like to retain a decent amount of curls on top.  A lot of the styles we like seem to work for thicker hair types.  Is there any way to gauge what type his hair is so we can hone in on as style that works with it?

Thanks again!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file