First Hair Cut

giftedorganistgiftedorganist Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hello all!

I'm looking for advice on a haircut/style for my son.  He turned 4 recently and was promised he could get his first haircut.  While I am really not wanting to, I know he is aware enough to know when people are complimenting him but saying she/her because of the length and the length and the curls.  He gives me that look like...they did it again dad!! UGH!! My wife was on the same page until one day she came home and had also reached a point where she said, ENOUGH! So months ago, I relented and promised to get him a cut when he turned 4 (6/18).   

So now I need some advice from fellow curlies/parents of curlies on style/cut that will allow both of us to be happy.  My child is a boy's boy, manly man.  He looks up to me and my dad fiercely and wants his hair like ours....only problem is we both rock the bald style.  I don't want to make the choice i did with my other son and buzz all the curls off (age 2) to the point they're not ever coming back.  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Here are a few pics of his hair in various stages of styled.  (freshly conditioned, fully styled, simple conditioner and lotion, end or a hot summer day without conditioning in the previous 48 hours.

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,344Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome!  Very cute boy!  As a young girl with a pixie cut who was often mistaken for a boy, it's a terrible feeling.  Maybe you can find pictures of boys with different hair cuts and let him choose?  And if it ends up being a buzz cut, don't worry.  It's only hair - it'll grow back!
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2C/3A, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • giftedorganistgiftedorganist Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    Welcome!  Very cute boy!  As a young girl with a pixie cut who was often mistaken for a boy, it's a terrible feeling.  Maybe you can find pictures of boys with different hair cuts and let him choose?  And if it ends up being a buzz cut, don't worry.  It's only hair - it'll grow back!
    Thanks for the response.  We have been going through pictures with him and getting some ideas.  I wanted to reach out to this community/forum to get some first hand knowledge/experience with the situation and get more ideas and inspiration.

Thanks again.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,563Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Did you post in more than one place? Or am I losing my mind? I could swear I chimed in on this yesterday, somewhere! :) 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 852Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    If he permanently looses his curl it is not because of a haircut.  It sometimes happens during puberty. 
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • socurlssocurls Posts: 186Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    So cute ! :smile: 
    I just created an Instagram account on the evolution of my curly hair journey ! 
    It will be a pleasure to find you there  :)

https://www.instagram.com/socurls/

@socurls
  • CurledvinesCurledvines Posts: 59Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I think there are two parts to your post. One is about cuts, and the other about toxic gender stereotyping crap we do to each other.
    For the first part--see if you can find a person local to you who specializes in curly hair cuts and then see if they cut kids' hair. Your son has a pretty good curl and would benefit enormously if whoever clips his hair knows what they are doing. 

For the second part... I am lucky to live in SF, land of the weird. And even here my children have experienced some pressure to conform. My son has long hair and gets called she a lot, and my daughter got asked if she became a boy when she cut her hair earlier this year (they are 6 years old). So, yeah, it is super annoying that people use hair as a shortcut to perceive another human. 
    However, my hair is lilac, my husband died his dark blue. The whole household does not conform ;) My husband had long hair for a long time, and my son has pictures of that to help him see other options beside short hair. 
    If you have no support around a boy with long hair I understand having one can be emotionally trying. If the cut is only because *other people* don't gender your super young kid correctly maybe it is possible to find like-minded parents to hang out with and enjoy whatever your kid wants with his hair (as long as clean. Do I draw the line at clean...)
    2C/3A long hair with some 3C thrown in
    High Porosity, dense, coarse hair
    I make my own protein masks
  • CurlsAbroadCurlsAbroad Posts: 16Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    I wish my mom had kept my hair curly when I was young! She has stick straight hair and always brushed my hair straight because Shen didn't not know what else to do. I don't really blame her because she's was only doing what she knew, but I do blame the hairdressers who would cut my hair wet to my shoulders and leave me with I think dry above my ears, saying that didn't realize it wouldn't shrink so much... except EVERY. SINGLE. HAIRDRESSER. I had would make this mistake repeatedly. I'm just glad that you're asking questions and trying to respect your son's wishes!
    Type: 3a (ish)
    Density: medium
    Porosity: low/normal
    Thickess: medium

Current Routine:
    - J.R. Liggett Coconut and Argan Oil shampoo bar (sulfate free, silicone free, detergent free)
    - S2C with Beauty and the Bees conditioner bar
    -scrunch out the water, then apply Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk
    -plop as long as I can
    -scrunch with water often
  • CurlsAbroadCurlsAbroad Posts: 16Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    @Curledvines thank you for bringing up the toxicity of gender! Yay for weird!
    Type: 3a (ish)
    Density: medium
    Porosity: low/normal
    Thickess: medium

Current Routine:
    - J.R. Liggett Coconut and Argan Oil shampoo bar (sulfate free, silicone free, detergent free)
    - S2C with Beauty and the Bees conditioner bar
    -scrunch out the water, then apply Shea Moisture Curl and Style Milk
    -plop as long as I can
    -scrunch with water often

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file