Mixed reaction giving compliments as a guy

bobbybobby Posts: 731Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
In the interest of promoting solidarity and togetherness in the curly community, I try to make it a point to compliment any woman I see, even strangers, that rock their curls. I try to play it from the angle of, "Since I have curly hair I try to share love with others that have it. There are usually one of two outcomes. It's either the compliment made her day and we often share a hug or I get a standoffish look like I'm some creepy dude. Thankfully, I find it to mostly be the former. At any rate, I'm going to keep being me. 
2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 967Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    You'll have to forgive those standoffish women.  They're probably in creepy guy overload.  There are so many creepers out there, when some strange man gives a compliment, we have to take a minute to try to figure out what this guy's angle is.  Especially if it's on a day when we don't feel like we look our best.

It's always nice to get a compliment from a stranger though!
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2C/3A, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo
    Innersense Color Radiance Conditioner
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 442Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I can be a bit standoffish when it comes to compliments. T doesn't matter who is complimenting. I'm just naturally shy and very self conscious. Keep giving compliments, brush it off it it's not well received.
  • beantreesbeantrees Posts: 71Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    I am pretty standoffish with receiving compliments from men.  It's hard to know a stranger's intentions, and I've often been in situations where compliments become a foot in the door to starting up a conversation.  Happened to me just last night at a meeting I went to, and the compliment started with my haircut.  Conversations aren't an issue on their own, but it's hard to take them at face value.  Men can also sometimes expect a gracious smile and thank you, which I am under no obligation to give.

Compliments I don't mind receiving are short, specific, to the point, and with no further conversation.  Ie. "great shoes" "nice haircut" "I like your jacket". General comments on whether somebody likes my overall appearance (ie. "you're beautiful" "looking good today") do not go over well with me.

2C/3A, med/coarse, thick density, high porosity - CG since 5/17/2018
    Earlobe length on one side and pixie short in back and other side
    Cleanse: Inecto Coconut Conditioner, SM JBCO shampoo
    RO Condition: SM Raw Shea Butter
    DT: SM Raw Shea Butter masque
    LI: SM JBCO leave in
    Stylers: AG Recoil, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, SM Curl & Style Milk, Carina Organics gel

• bobbybobby Posts: 731Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for the feedback, ladies. I don't take offense to the ones that are standoffish. I see the varied responses as a mere reflection that everyone emotes differently. However, if those I compliment and it makes their day, I'll savor it. :)
    2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 567Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    When it comes to men giving hair compliments, I don't mind as long as he compliments me and keeps it moving. It shows that the compliment is more genuine other than trying to get something out of me. Hair compliments from any gender are the only physical ones I'm comfortable with anyway. 
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file