How often do you lo poo?

curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,078Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
My hair is 2c3a and I've found a lo poo that I really enjoy(Essential Oil Labs Argan Oil Restorative Shampoo - available on Amazon) but I don't want to overuse it.  I've often read that we shouldn't wash our curls more often than once a week, but I was curious to know if any of you do it more often.  I'm on a silicone free routine so hopefully I won't get buildup much.  Thanks for any responses!
2/c Coarse hair med. density.
Highly porous. Color over grey.
I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
Every day is a gift :flower:

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 832Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    If I get decent hair on day 1, I can extend it to day 2, and if I don't have to work, then on to day 3.  But if I don't like how my hair turns out, then I just rewash it.  This week I've washed every day, and will do so again today.  As long as your shampoo is gentle and non-damaging, then wash as often as you like.  You could alternate cowashing with low-pooing, but cowash is just a disaster for my hair.  There's no way I could go a full week without washing.  My hair would be disgustingly greasy and smelly.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2C/3A, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo
    Innersense Color Radiance Conditioner
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,078Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for responding Guide65.  I want to look especially nice tomorrow and was thinking of lo-pooing to be sure of an excellent result but it's only Day 4.  I just didn't want to dry out my hair.  Cheers!
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 91Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I clarify once a week (and then deep condition) and lo-poo once a week personally. I don’t like the lo-poo I have right now, but I’m going to finish the bottle. Hopefully I can get down to bi-weekly clarifying with a better lo-poo, but it may just be the season
    Fine, low porosity, medium to med-high density 2b/c

Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative with Colorful Neutral Protein filler as a deep conditioner

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

Keeyamah, what do you use to clarify?  Since I haven't been clarifying, it would seem that 2 lo-poos a week may be OK and not dry out my hair.  Thanks for chiming in.
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,140Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I low poo two to three times a week, and I clarify once every other week with a sulfate poo.

I think how often you wash your hair is very individual. I have read in several places that fine hair benefits from more frequent washing. I think that coarse hair may have need of less washing as it is more dependent on its natural oils to soften the hair shaft.

A lot would certainly depend on your shampoo and conditioner as well. Some low poos are extremely gentle and moisturizing. As usual, it's trial and error.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,140Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I low poo two to three times a week, and I clarify once every other week with a sulfate poo.

I think how often you wash your hair is very individual. I have read in several places that fine hair benefits from more frequent washing. I think that coarse hair may have need of less washing as it is more dependent on its natural oils to soften the hair shaft.

A lot would certainly depend on your shampoo and conditioner as well. Some low poos are extremely gentle and moisturizing. As usual, it's trial and error.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Therese1 I'm so glad you chimed in!  I have been feeling guilty about wanting to use a sulfate poo when I color my hair (because I'm concerned about getting all the dye out) and also worried that if I lo poo more than once a week I will dry out my hair. It's funny how we (or at least I) get so caught up in all this.  As you say, trial and error is the way to go.  Thanks!
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 321Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I try to wash twice a week, once is a cowash mid week the other a low poo on the weekends. Unfortunately, I'm lazy and often it is a low poo once a week. I get better results with low poo but I do always follow up with a deep conditioner. I use a sulfate the first weekend of every month.
    BrittanyM, you as well as Therese1 are allaying my worries. I really want to use a sulfate when I dye my hair and I secretly imagine the hair police are coming to get me LOL.  I'm glad you posted!
  • KeeyamahKeeyamah Posts: 91Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Right now I’m clarifying with my mom’s dandruff shampoo ☺️  I plan on getting a bottle of Suave Daily Clarifying and using that, or possibly just a different dandruff shampoo as I have had dandruff issues my whole life just about. 
    Fine, low porosity, medium to med-high density 2b/c

Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Restorative with Colorful Neutral Protein filler as a deep conditioner

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

• beantreesbeantrees Posts: 40Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Dabbler
    I co-wash and diffuse every day, and low poo once a week-ish unless something out of the ordinary happens (ie. my hair stylist used silicones on me on Tuesday so I washed with sulfates then deep conditioned that evening).  I'm going to try to low poo less often and see what happens though.
    2C/3A, med/coarse, thick, medium (maybe high) porosity - CG since 5/17/2018
    Earlobe length on one side and pixie short in back and other side
    Cleanse: Inecto Coconut Conditioner, AG Recoil shampoo, SM JCBO shampoo
    RO Condition: SM Raw Shea Butter or JBCO, Carina Organics DT CO
    DT: SM Raw Shea Butter or JCBO masque
    LI: SM JBCO leave in
    Stylers: AG Recoil, SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, FSG, Carina Organics gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file