I can't figure out what's wrong with my hair T-T

tiagrace95tiagrace95 Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
 I have been completely natural for 3 years now, but for the past couple of months my 3c/4a hair has been changing in a way that I have never experienced before. It's almost as if my hair is transitioning from a texlaxer or has some form of heat damage. That's the best way I can describe it at the moment. My ends are a little less dense and a bit looser in texture than the rest of my hair, but not straight. My twist outs never come out the way they used to anymore.They used to be much more uniform in style. I've noticed the top 10 inches of my hair do not twist neatly like the bottom 5 inches of my hair. They sort of puff out especially at the line of demarcation where the looser curls start. Also for the past couple of weeks I've noticed my hair has been having an increase in single strand knots and it's like no matter how much I cut there are always more. 
My theory is that my past non-healthy hair habits are catching up to me. A year ago I was obsessed with stretching my hair, however I never experienced any knotting or breakage and my hair would always bounce back to its original curl pattern when I washed it, so I don't think this was necessarily it. What I think was the problem is that for a few months, I would continuously deep condition my hair every week and sit under the hair dryer using a high heat setting . Since I twisted my hair and tied them in a tight bun before putting on a plastic cap, I am almost 100% certain that the tightness of my buns in combination with sitting under the hair dryer on high heat for 15 minutes every week has caused my hair to get some heat damage. I stopped doing using heat while deep conditioning for a few weeks now, but have yet to notice a difference, so I think heat damage is the likely culprit.
I'll be making an appointment with my stylist to cut the remaining single strand knots because I've cut the ones off the bottom portion of my hair, but I don't want the rest of my hair to be compromised. As for the other problem I am having with figuring out what the issue is with my hair being a looser texture at the ends and causing my twist outs to not be the same, I wanted to know if anybody had a tips for dealing with this issue or if they have an idea of what could be going on? 
Thank you

Best Answer

• GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,633 Administrator
    Accepted Answer
    Here's some info on hygral fatigue, in case anyone wants to learn more. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,484Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I have no idea about what's happening to your hair, but I just wanted to say welcome to CurlTalk!  Hopefully someone will come along and have some ideas for you.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Since I don't your routine - you may do some of this already:

Clarify
    Deep Conditioner

The see if you can figure out if you hair needs more protein or more moisture:
    http://rockyncurls.blogspot.com/search/label/Protein and Overconditioning

Even going CG you can get build up - and throw your hair off, so the clarifying shampoo will help with that.

If you truely think you have damage you can try Olaplex
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • tiagrace95tiagrace95 Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Update:
    So I womaned-up and cut about an inch off my ends. I can already feel and see a difference in my hair. I tried to cut each individual knot, but there were too many for me to go through each individual strand, plus because the bottom half of my hair is looser than the top half, I wanted to cut away as much as of the looser pieces as I could for right now. I still have about four to five inches of looser ends, but I'm going to wait for my hair to grow out a bit more before I cut the rest off. I was able to figure out what I did wrong in my hair journey for my hair to get like this, so I'm very happy with my decision to cut my hair and implement better hair practices. Cutting my hair is a minor set back, but I'm more focused on having healthy hair than length,.Thank you to those of you who gave me advice. I truly appreciate you taking the time to help me.
  • tiagrace95tiagrace95 Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Just in case someone with the same problems stumbles on this post I found out the main reason why my hair was acting the way it was was because of hygral fatigue. Basically I washed my hair too much and it caused my hair to permanently stretch. Glad I figured that out. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file