Deva "Clips" warning - and is there a "secret" to dealing with knots?

Mehndi-RubiMehndi-Rubi Posts: 24Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I have had this problem my entire life and it seems absurd that I've waited this long to ask about it! The problem is my hair tangles and knots like crazy.  I have never been able to wear barrettes, rubber band hair ties, most hair clips or use "regular" bristle hairbrushes because my coarse hair tangles up and will not let go. A few years ago I bought Ouidad clips that I loved, but when I wanted to purchase more, recently, I learned they have been discontinued.  So I purchased Deva clips, thinking they'd been the same. Instead, they are unuseable! Deva clips are half the length of the Ouidad one, and Deva's are SHARP. They have a little spring in them that pokes out and scratches my hands and my scalp. Worst of all, they tangle so badly in my hair, I've had to tear and/or cut hair to get them out. It's like my hair grows around and into them like kudzu on a tree.

I detangle my hair in the shower, with conditioner in it, then I put in leave-in conditioner to stop as many tangles as possible, and then I use refresher sprays and detangling sprays until I detangle again.  Over the course of a day or two the parts of my hair that try to frizz (and inevitably succeed) become balls of course knots.  In the mornings, my hair has that "Just emerged from an isolated cave and never knew what a comb was" look. I either wear it tangled and try to smash it down on my head so it looks smoother, or I wet it, rinse it with conditioner, and wait for for it to finally dry.

Is this just the way it is with my hair, or am I missing some clever tricks or superior products?

For detangling I usually use Kinky Curly Knot Today, and CSH Slip, and they are the best so far. In the past I've used Deva, Shea Moisture, Cantu, Johnsons No More Tangles, It's a 10 (0 detangling for me), Miss Jessie's Super Slip Sudsy Shampoo, etc.

Why are detangling sprays marketed mostly for children? 
3A/B in Hot Dry Desert, Low Porosity
I LOVE MY Q-REDEW

DevaCurl Low Poo Original in rotation with No Poo Decadence
DevaCurl One Condition Original, DevaCurl B'Leave-In, KCKT
Clarify: Miss Jessie's Super Slip Sudsy
Deva Arc Angel Gel & Set It Free
Mist-er Right, Alikay Aloe Berry Gel
Ecoco Eco-Lesterol, Deva Melt Into Moisture
Color: Ancient Sunrise Rajasthani Monsoon Henna

Best Answers

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I think detangling is mostly marketed to kids because they play rough and are less likely to sit still and let mom brush their hair. But their products will work for you as well. When was the last time you clarified? My hair is prone to tangles and was only as you described when I had "stealth" product build up. I say stealth because I didn't have any other symptom besides tangly, dry, and frizzy hair. A sulfate shampoo will take care of the problem if you think this may be a cause. I'm not sure about the clips. I have a Sally version of the Deva Clips (same style), and the springs rarely catch my hair. I have the springs facing up in the air so they don't catch my hair. 
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I also agree that clarifying might be a good first step in case you have product build-up. My hair gets dry and tangly when I have product build-up.

You might also want to consider whether your hair is protein sensitive. Using protein on my hair usually makes it dry and tangly, so I limit protein usage to one product every other week.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I am also more tangle prone when I need a trim.

I echo the other posts.  Start with clarifying & deep conditioner.

I think if you can get your hair to be less frizzy it will tangle less.

What do you do with your hair at night?  It may help if you pineapple your hair or use a bonnet.  A satin pillowcase will also help.  I think the less your hair moves around the less it will tangle.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Answers

• Mehndi-RubiMehndi-Rubi Posts: 24Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks everyone - I am starting to suspect my hair might be a bit protein sensitive. When I read things about hair type it would seem like I need protein, but maybe not. I wonder if the heat here has anything to do with it.  Can dry heat make hair tangly? It's 106 today with 6% humidity.

I sleep with either a pineapple or I wear a silk sleep bonnet. Neither seems to help much with tangles, but they do help for "poof" frizz. The kind of frizz I get is not bunches of curls.  I get straighter hair that puffs out all over the place and looks almost matted (it's not, but it looks like it is). I have tried sleeping with Curlformers to see if that helped, but when I take the curlers out, my hair springs into a bunch of knots.  :/ 

I will look for the Sally version of Deva Clips! I know hair doesn't move of its own will, but sometimes mine seems like it does.  No matter how careful I am with those Deva clips, my hair snakes around them and ties itself in knots. Another brand is work a try for sure.

I may need clarifying! Product build up can be sneaky, and I have very hard water, which exacerbates the build up. I will be clarifying in a couple of days.  

I LOVE MY Q-REDEW

My frizz

Pony tail is a ball of knots
    I LOVE MY Q-REDEW

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Clarifying is worth a shot. There are hard water clarifiers as well so check those out. I wasn't recommending the sally ones. I just mentioned them because they are the same ones as the Deva or at least look like it. Same metal clips and formation.
    Yes -. I understood what you meant. I think of “Sally’s” almost as a word that equals “generic”. No doubt Sally’s will have better pricing (or any other beauty supply shop) and I should have thought of that before forming over $14.00 for the Deva clips. I have been looking for clips to replace my old Ouidad ones (at least 12 years old and I have only 3 left) but The have not found a non-branded version yet. Thank you for helping me - I will think twice about branded hair tool now!
    I LOVE MY Q-REDEW

• lenagialenagia Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    DevaCurl is no longer selling DevaClips -- I'd love to buy them from you
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Hi Mehndi-Rubi, Are you still having this problem? What others have said about being protein sensitive makes sense especially since you henna your hair. However, I'm betting thar humectants are the root cause of your problem. I would look for new products besides Devacurl, which are all loaded with glycerin. Since you live in the desert, humectants like this will pull mosture out of you hair and into the air. This is probably causing chronic dryness, which could be the source of your tangles. It is very difficult, if to find glycerin-free and protein-free products, but not impossible. Take a look at Eco Sevi, Curl Junkie. (There are others, but not many). As a side note, do you do an oil treatment after a henna treatment? When I started this, my henna-related dryness went away. Basically after washing out henna, apply oil to your hair, fairly generously to make sure you get good coverage. I use coconut oil. There are some other thing you can do with your henna mix that might help with tangles, dryness, and overall condition to if you were interested. If you see this, and you are interested, post your current henna mix and routine, and we can take a look. Not sure if you are still around. (I left a while back and came back to see this place a ghost town overrun by spam.) But if you see this, that's just my $0.02.
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file