Is my hair overconditioned?

Sophie19Sophie19 Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
hello! It’s been about two and a half months starting the curly girl method and until now I had the same routine: every other day I low-pooed, conditioned, then did the LOC method when putting in products. I haven’t really had any problems with it, but I’m afraid that using a low poo so often is drying out my hair. About a month ago I started weekly deep conditioning, and that didn’t seen to affect my hair either. HOWEVER, yesterday I tried out cowashing for the first time and my hair looks so different! I have no clue what I did wrong. It was poofy and frizzy, and my waves were gone. It was almost like what my hair would look like if I had brushed it out. So, did I overcondition?? About half of my products have proteins in them, but do I need to use a protein treatment?? Thank you so much! :)
photos: 1 is the night when I washed it while it’s still a bit wet, 2 is the morning after (I pineapple), and 3 is only an hour after the second photo

Answers

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 814Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It could be over conditioned or it could be build up.  Either way I would try a clarifying shampoo.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,135Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    When you cowash, you have to really be carefully to rinse super well.  You can't just hang your head under the shower and expect it to all rinse out.  You need to continue scrubbing your scalp and working it through your hair for a few minutes as you rinse.  If this happened after a single cowash, I'm betting this was the problem.  Another issue that might have cause it is the product you used to cowash.  Is it something you've used before?  If it's new to you, it might just be a reaction to that particular cowash.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2C/3A, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Sophie19Sophie19 Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Guide 65 said:
    When you cowash, you have to really be carefully to rinse super well.  You can't just hang your head under the shower and expect it to all rinse out.  You need to continue scrubbing your scalp and working it through your hair for a few minutes as you rinse.  If this happened after a single cowash, I'm betting this was the problem.  Another issue that might have cause it is the product you used to cowash.  Is it something you've used before?  If it's new to you, it might just be a reaction to that particular cowash.
    Yes, I did continue working my scalp as I was rinsing the conditioner out, but it was a new product, so I have to look into that :) thank you!
  • Sophie19Sophie19 Posts: 8Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    It could be over conditioned or it could be build up.  Either way I would try a clarifying shampoo.
    thanks! I’m planning on doing that today haha

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file