Are You Navigationally Deficient?

LotsawavesLotsawaves Registered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
I have been all my life.  I get lost anytime I go to unfamilar places or if I get detoured, or if I am in a big parking lot.  I just got lost yesterday evening.  I dropped my grandson off at gymnastics & got lost going home.  My oldest daughter is the same way.  She is also a nervous driver in traffic & tries to avoid freeways.  Same with me.  My youngest daughter loves getting lost.  She will go thru a drive thru & order food & drink & take off exploring.  I guess she has her father's gene.  I have a neighbor who is 80 & got lost for 4 hours.  Just driving in circles.  Yes, I need a GPS or something.  I'm looking into this.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."

Comments

• KeeyamahKeeyamah Registered Users Posts: 209 Curl Connoisseur
    I’m not comfortable just driving to get lost, but I’m also not great at finding my way around. You can’t give me generic directions to anywhere new (like “take _____ street past the ____ and then turn right) I need specifics, street names and landmarks, tell me what lane to be in, tell me “you’ll pass this, this and this. If you get to this street or landmark, you’ve gone too far”

I use my phone to get around and it still gets me lost, which sucks
    Fine, low porosity at the roots, high porosity at the ends, medium to med-high density 2b/c
    Lo-Poo: Jessicurl Gentle Lather
    Leave-in: Diluted Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Rinse out: Tresemme Botanique with Coconut milk and Aloe Vera
    Curl Creams: Cantu Shea Butter for Natural Hair and Kinky-Curly Knot Today
    Gels: Herbal Essences Totally Twisted and LA Looks Sport Gel
    Treatments: Hask Keratin Protein Smoothing Deep Conditioner 

Follow my oldest's Acute Lymphblastic Leukemia journey https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/quinntiegs

• LotsawavesLotsawaves Registered Users Posts: 9,777 Curl Virtuoso
    Glad to know I'm not alone.  Most times I can get to a place, but back tracking really confuses me.  When my 1st grandchild was born I managed to get to the hospital.  I pulled onto the wrong street when I left the hospital parking lot.  It was dark & raining.  I was lost for at least an hour.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I am totally like this. My younger brother is the same way.

Do you have a cell phone with GPS on it? Mine has built-in GPS, and it has been a lifesaver. I have much less anxiety when driving now.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    Count me in too! Hopeless, always been the same, hate driving anywhere that's unfamiliar to me. When my boys were little and in the car with me, it became highly amusing to them as I pulled over to check the street directory yet again - "Uh oh, Mum's lost again". 
    I'm better now I've got a GPS but I still like to check the street directory before I head off anywhere new, just so I can get a visual on where I'm off to.
    3b in South Australia.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    I have a pretty good sense of direction and once I've been somewhere, I can get myself back. Love just taking off and seeing where we wound up! We've done that on a weekend before, just take off and see where we wind up lol We have a family lake house about 3hrs away. I can do the drive with my eyes closed, but my cousin and I go and stop all along the way in little towns to shop, eat, site see, etc. We always wind up way out of the way, but have a great time getting here lol
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Registered Users Posts: 17,898 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm not terrible w/ directions but not great either. Having a GPS helps, for sure!
    But my last bf has spent his ENTIRE freaking life here in columbus and he has NO CLUE where major landmarks/destinations are. Hadn't ever heard of them or had never been and/or didn't know what side of town they were even on. We were going to Disney a few yrs back and he got lost driving us to the damn airport. I thought men were supposed to be at least minimally proficient getting around??
    I have the worse phone.  My daughter put me on her Verizon family plan & gave me this tiny little phone.  I use my phone mainly just to talk & text, but I depend on it for my clients.  My daughter surprised me with another phone & I had no idea how to use it.  I was so frustrated because I was missing calls & texts from clients.  I gave it back to her.  I so need to upgrade especially so I can get a GPS.  This getting lost is ridiculous & scary.  My car is a 2006, so there is no built in device to guide me to my destination.  
    From Michael Berg:

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    I used to be like this so much as my mother brought me an actual GPS in high school. But I found a cure. I actually got lost on foot in a foreign country and my language skills were not good. I walked and walked until I saw a skyscraper with a leaf on it and I remembered being able to see that building from the hotel. So I navigated until I found that building and recognized where I was and how to get back. After that, haven't gotten lost since and can keep track of which direction I need to go if I take random roads, in other words, I keep track of the curves and change of direction. So if you want to cure yourself, there is always this option. Not available for patients with anxiety.
    I don't really get anxiety when I get lost.  I know there are people I can call, but it is embarassing for me to call them.  Yes, landmarks do help.  My roommate did tell me that where I got lost was a cluster f' and I was in rush hour traffic. That made me feel better. I didn't feel like a total idiot.
    From Michael Berg:

I have the worse phone.  My daughter put me on her Verizon family plan & gave me this tiny little phone.  I use my phone mainly just to talk & text, but I depend on it for my clients.  My daughter surprised me with another phone & I had no idea how to use it.  I was so frustrated because I was missing calls & texts from clients.  I gave it back to her.  I so need to upgrade especially so I can get a GPS.  This getting lost is ridiculous & scary.  My car is a 2006, so there is no built in device to guide me to my destination.  
    you don't have a gps? I might have my magellan gps...but I got it about 7 yrs ago. If I find it I could send it to you. Or maybe you just need to upgrade your phone?
    I need a new phone, for sure.
    From Michael Berg:

I need a new phone, for sure.
    Well, if you need the gps and I can find it, i'm happy to send it to you in the meantime.
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    edited June 2018
    No I am very good with navigation.  Love maps, always got high grades, when I had to do any school assignments that had a map.

@Lotsawaves are you sure you don't have a GPS app.  Most phones have come with a navigation app for the last decade.  If you have an android or an iphone you should be able to download a free GPS app.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
    Spider, that would be great!  WavyK, I don't have an Android or Iphone.  It's a Verizon LG.
    From Michael Berg:

edited June 2018
    Spider, that would be great!  WavyK, I don't have an Android or Iphone.  It's a Verizon LG.
    @Lotsawaves My Verizon phone came with VZ Navigator, which is a navigation app.

LG is the maker of the phone.  Android is an operating system.  Do you have an app on your phone that says Play Store 

Or possibly the Amazon app store.

If you have either of them you can probably down load a navigation app.

Sometimes the Verizon store will help with apps.  You can also ask your grandson.

2b, 2c,

Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm a little big challenged in this area. Not as bad as some, but not as good as my husband who has a great sense of direction.  I use Google Maps all the time. 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    WavyK, you cracked me up saying I could ask my grandson.  I'm sure both my grandkids could figure this out for me.  I may see the family this weekend & I will see if they can help me.  I don't like asking becuz they laugh at me.  
    From Michael Berg:

WavyK, you cracked me up saying I could ask my grandson.  I'm sure both my grandkids could figure this out for me.  I may see the family this weekend & I will see if they can help me.  I don't like asking becuz they laugh at me.  
    Free tech support is better than no tech support.

I am still my mom's tech support.  Sometimes I tell her to JFGI  (Just .... Google It)
    2b, 2c,

You should have Google Maps on your phone. Or like Wavy K said, you can download it. LGs have their issues but hey are fully functional androids. Take a screen shot of your apps and widgets, etc. and post it.
    Yes, like I know how to do a screen shot.   LOL!!!
    From Michael Berg:

• StarmieStarmie Registered Users Posts: 7,169 Curl Virtuoso
    ^I know where you're coming from Lotsa, I wouldn't have a clue!

And I think DS2 wishes I'd got something other than an iphone as, having one himself, he gets all the questions! Let them laugh, who cares!
    3b in South Australia.
    Starmie, we are sistas.  
    From Michael Berg:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file