How often can you straighten while minimizing damage?

Pree990Pree990 Posts: 28Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
edited June 3 in Straightening/Relaxing
Hey everyone,

I've been heat-free for almost a year (minus the one time I got a trim and the stylist diffused my hair).

I'm growing out a haircut I kind of hate and whenever my hair is cut poorly or too short, I find that it only looks good when straightened.  When I'm happier with my haircut, I don't really use products.  I'm experimenting with gels and conditioning mousses but am having a hard time with frizz and creating a uniform wave pattern. 

How often can I straighten without damaging my hair too much?  I was going to buy a hot brush since I hear it's less damaging than a flat iron (I can't blow dry my hair for the life of me and it always ends up frizzy when I attempt it).

I have type 2A hair, in case that matters:

Best Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,511 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I don't think you can use hot tools and not damage your hair at all.  You can minimize the damage by using a heat protectant and minimize the amount of heat you're applying.  But you'll still get some damage every time.

That said...we have to do what we have to do to make our hair look good.  If you feel better straightening it, then go ahead.  There's no hair police!  Do what you need to to look and feel good!
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 841 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Definitely agree with Guide65. However, when I first started, I hated my hair not straight but I didn't want the damage anymore. So I made myself a promise, I could straighten my hair once a month. Doing this as well as babying my hair, my hair looked better and a few months later I liked the way I looked with my curly hair rather than my straight hair so I dropped the once a month straightening. I don't remember when the last time I used a straightener was.

Answers

• Pree990Pree990 Posts: 28Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    BrittanyM said:
    Definitely agree with Guide65. However, when I first started, I hated my hair not straight but I didn't want the damage anymore. So I made myself a promise, I could straighten my hair once a month. Doing this as well as babying my hair, my hair looked better and a few months later I liked the way I looked with my curly hair rather than my straight hair so I dropped the once a month straightening. I don't remember when the last time I used a straightener was.
    That's a good idea since once my hair grows longer I probably will back from the heat anyway since I don't mind it wavy when it has some length to it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file