Hair is falling out! HELP!!

AricurlyAricurly Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
so I’ve been blow drying my hair for most of my life (28 now) and about a year and a half ago I stopped and started curling my hair. My problem is so much of it is coming out I feel like giving up on my curly journey and go back to blow drying. Every time I wash my hair packs of it come out. I finger detangle, use a wide tooth comb, use deva no poo shampoo, sleep on silk pillow case, deep condition, I’ve done a protein treatment and got a hair cut. I just don’t know what to do. I love my curly hair and I don’t want to go back to blow drying but I’m afraid I’ll go bald. 

Answers

• curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Aricurly, I highly recommend seeing a doctor if your hair is falling out. You could have a thyroid problem or low iron or something.  Those things are easily remedied.  Good luck!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • AricurlyAricurly Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
    edited May 2018
    Aricurly, I highly recommend seeing a doctor if your hair is falling out. You could have a thyroid problem or low iron or something.  Those things are easily remedied.  Good luck!
    It only happens when I’m hair is curly. When I blow it out once in a blue I can count how much comes out. When it comes out is in the shower on wash days. But I am going to take your advice and go to a doctor. Do you think Dermatologist would handle hair or another type of doctor ?
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    If you are not brushing your hair between wash days when you wear it curly (most people don't brush curly hair), it is possible that the extra hair in the shower drain is just the accumulation of shed hairs since last wash day. Many people think they're losing more hair when they go curly, but it's actually just because the shed hairs come out all at once. Do you think this might be what's happening?
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    Therese1 may be right and you may not be shedding too much hair after all.  I'm frequently taken aback at how much hair I lose when I shower.  That said, it's probably a good idea to see a doc, just to rule out any physical problem.  A Derm or an internist would be the type of doc you should see.  I just hope you find someone you trust who doesn't charge an arm and a leg, and who gives you a full physical with blood test to make sure your thyroid, iron, etc. levels are normal.  Please let us know how you are doing.  I hope you get some good answers soon!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Registered Users Posts: 853 Curl Virtuoso
    I agree with @Therese1
    When your hair is curly, a normally shed hair seems to get caught in with its neighbors, so you don't see them until wash day when they get freed up.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file