Hair Advice

JoannE004JoannE004 Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hi, I'm new to the CG routine and have 2c/3a hair, and I'm wondering if anyone else could give me advice on their routines or products they use. Thanks! 

Comments

• beantreesbeantrees Posts: 116Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    edited May 2018
    Welcome!  I'm sure you'll get lots of great advice, people are very helpful here!

I too have 2c/3a hair and am new to CG.  I have no business giving advice lol, but here's a list of what I'm trying out:

Inecto Coconut Shampoo to clarify pre-CG (it has sulfates - have not used it since first day)
    Inecto Coconut Conditioner to co-wash
    Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil shampoo to low-poo if necessary (have only done this once, co-washing seems to work well so far)
    Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter conditioner
    Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter deep conditioner 1x/week
    Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil leave in
    AG Recoil curl activator
    Gel - I made flax seed gel (there is an epic thread about it somewhere on Curltalk) or I use a locally made gel from this hippie bulk store, lots of people seem to like LA Looks Sports Gel though.

I just posted my routine here with a pic.  Still experimenting with products

I've read and been warned that Shea Moisture can be really heavy for some folks' hair since shea butter can build up, so I'm keeping an eye out for that.  So far it seems ok to me but might be something to keep in mind if you get products from that brand, depending on how easily your hair gets weighed down.  The reason I bought them is because they were pretty inexpensive, CG approved, available in Canada, and don't use animal testing.

Good luck on your CG journey!  Keep us posted!
    2C/3A, med/coarse, thick density, high porosity - CG since 5/17/2018
    Earlobe length on one side and pixie short in back and other side.  Growing out to chin/jaw length.
    Cleanse: Inecto Coconut Conditioner, SM JBCO shampoo
    RO Condition: SM Curl & Shine
    DT: SM JBCO masque
    LI: SM JBCO leave in, Giovanni Direct Leave-in
    Stylers: AG Recoil or SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie or SM Curl & Style Milk, Carina Organics gel

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Your curl pattern is important, but not as important as other factors when it come to products and routines.

You fine hair may react differently than course hair, and high porosity hair react differently than low porosity hair.  

You can take this quiz to help you figure out your hair properties  https://www.naturallycurly.com/quiz
    come back with the results and some one (or more) will have suggestions for you.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Agree with @WavyKfromNJ. @Beantrees offered some good started advice. Choose a sulfate free and silicone free shampoo. Then a silicone free conditioner. Deep condition once a week. For stylers, leave ins are typically essential if your hair is on the dry side. You can follow with a cream or a gel or both. I still use a leave in, cream, and gel. I brush the first two in, then glaze the gel over and scrunch gently. All my products are applied on sopping wet hair.
    I would warn that this routine might be a bit much if you have easily weighed down hair. Best of luck!
  • JoannE004JoannE004 Posts: 4Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited June 2018
    Your curl pattern is important, but not as important as other factors when it come to products and routines.

You fine hair may react differently than course hair, and high porosity hair react differently than low porosity hair.  

You can take this quiz to help you figure out your hair properties  https://www.naturallycurly.com/quiz
    come back with the results and some one (or more) will have suggestions for you.
    Thank you all for the advice! I took the quiz, and I have high porosity, medium density, and medium texture...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file