What shall I do with my frizzy straight hair?

DN999DN999 Posts: 7Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hi,
I'm currently in a bit of a dilemma as I literally have three different hair textures (waves,curls and straight hair on top)
This is probably due to the heat and chemical damage my hair received as for the past three years I had my hair straightened four times with the keratin method and last year with the Permanent Japanese Treatment,all of which I regret as In now stuck with frizzy straight hair.(Which is basically straight on top curly underneath and I also have straight ends as they are still affected by the permanent straightening)

However it is important to mention that before all the treatments my hair was still very much frizzy and unmanageable.(As I'm the only one in my family with somewhat curly hair-since childhood my hair was brushed dry and shampooed with sulfate shampoos)
Whereas during my teen years following the advice of my sister(who refers to my hair as "bird's nest"-due to the frizz) I straightened my hair every single day and had it tied in a pony tail.

But now I'm wondering whether to get the keratin treatment again as its not as drastic as the Japanese straightening and helps with all the frizz and flyways or get a perm similar to the first picture along with a layered shorter cut,or just get a DevaCut  or finally a pixie cut?

To summaries what treatment do you think i should get
1)Keratin Treatment-In order to tame the frizz
2)Perm
3)Perm and a haircut-In order to allow my natural hair to regrow
3)DevaCut-In order to layer my hair so I get rid of the straight bits
4)Get a pixie cut -To fully restart

Picture for reference
1+2=The perm I want to get(Either number 1 or 2)
3=My hair when I was around 5
4=My hair at 7-8
5=My hair now:(

Picture 1)

Picture 2)

Picture 3)
me at 2
+
me at five years old(Hair was just shampooed)

Picture 4)Me at 8(Just shampooed)

Picture 5 my hair now (Shampooed)-Straight on top and ends

+MY Hair underneath

PS:Could anyone tell me my hair pattern before and the one I have now (Thanks a lot in advance:)+And what kind of products you would recommend for me?
-Also Sorry for the extra long post

Comments

• WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Before you make a decision, how about some treatments that may help restore your hair.  It looks like you may have fine hair, so I would suggest a protein treatment and lots of deep conditioners.
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold
  • DN999DN999 Posts: 7Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the response
    I think you are right about my hair being fine I will try to use the protein conditioner and see if there is any improvement :smile:
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,541Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I think @WavyKfromNJ is right--I would try some protein treatments and deep conditioning treatments to get your hair as moisturized as possible before making any decisions for a haircut.

Different heads of hair can have wildly different reactions to protein. If you try a protein treatment and your hair just feels like straw afterward, then that might be a sign that your hair doesn't like protein. In that case, just make sure to use products that are protein free. Generally, damaged hair needs a lot of protein, so I think protein is a great place to start.

If after getting your hair in the best shape possible, you still have many seriously damaged areas, I would do what many naturals call "the big chop." That would be cutting off all the damaged areas. Getting a perm sounds like a workable idea on the surface, but getting a perm will change the porosity of your hair and rough up the cuticle, which will give the permed hair very different properties from the hair that will be growing in from your scalp--which could cause a lot of problems as you try to figure out how to manage your natural hair.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    @Therese1
    Thank you for the reply :) 
    as I mentioned before I will try the protein conditioning and probably get a cut to make it at least shoulder length as anything bellow my shoulders is still affected by the Japanese straightening 
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,163Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited May 2018
    Start the curly girl method if you have not. Deep condition often. Protein treatments work. Try this and reassess the situation in a month or two. Cutting off the straight bits are a good start. Ultimately, this is your decision. I wouldn't get a pixie cut unless you really want to and you are willing to live with the wait to grow it out. If you want to and are committed, go for it but never feel pressured that you have to cut off all the damage immediately. I caution against any perm or straightening treatment because depending on the stylist, you may get a different result that what you want. Zendaya and the lady who I can't remember where I know her (she runs a blog) from have naturally curly hair, but a perm would probably make your curls more uniform than you are wanting. And with any perm, you still have to grow it out. But again, it's your hair and do whatever makes you happiest.
    Edit: Forgot to add, your hair is not bad at all. On the wavier side, but totally wearable and not at all ruined.
    Thanks Brittany 🙂
    yh I think I changed my mind about the pixie but I will probably cut it down a bit just because I find the straight ends a bit annoying 😶
    PS:I heard about the curly girl method but didn't get the chance to try it out will probably do by next week 
  • coracat5coracat5 Posts: 17Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Any update?

Cause my story is exactly like yours, my hair kind of looks like yours, except no Japanese straightening but damage done due to bleaching, coloring and keratin treatments. 

And yours is better, mine is even more frizzy straight. With waves underneath the straight. 

Regrets, so many regrets...
  • MafiaPrincessMafiaPrincess Posts: 57Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Say buh-bye to sulfate shampoo. I suppose you already have. Deep conditioning with heat twice a week could be your saviour. 
  • MafiaPrincessMafiaPrincess Posts: 57Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I mean these two factors helped me restore my hair after using sulfates too often. 
    @coract5
    Well, a lot has happened since my first post I basically went to one of the worst hairdressers(got huge uneven layers and fringe that was way too short while my sister had her hair dyed literally yellow) the cut was done  on holidays :( ... 

So after I got back home I had to have it redone in the closest salon to even it all out. Its not the best but not the worst either😅
    (I will insert photos down below) 

As to the condition of my curls I would say it vastly improved however its still somehow quite dry in the back I did start deep conditioning and even tried the BRIOGEO deep conditioning I didn't really see any effects from it though. I will be ordering another deep conditioning mask and see if there's any improvement as of right now I love the As I Am coconut cowash and the sulphate free shampoos really made a difference! 
    My current hair is still not as curly as I hoped for and is quite dry but now that I cut off all the dead ends I hope to regrow and condition it more :) 

@coract5 +@Mafiaprincess
    PS:As you can probbably see my hair is really dry and frizzy in the back
     Is it because I unevenly applied the deep conditioner? 😅😂
    Also I will give heat conditioning another try :) 

My hair... 

DN999 said:
    @coract5 +@Mafiaprincess
    PS:As you can probbably see my hair is really dry and frizzy in the back
     Is it because I unevenly applied the deep conditioner? 😅😂
    Also I will give heat conditioning another try :) 

My hair... 

Do not worry at all... Staying consistent with the sulfate free shampoo, scalp-only shampooing, finger-combing conditioner through your hair, and most importantly deep conditioning with heat twice a week will fix this all right! 
    You ought to clarify only once every month with a sulfate shampoo, very importantly following that with a deep treatment using heat. Pre-poo with coconut or olive oil when you do this. Your hair looks like all it needs is some TLC and pampering!
    Thanks I will 🙂👍
  • WavyKfromNJWavyKfromNJ Posts: 853Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Coconut oil does not do my hair any good, and there are others here that also do not like what coconut oil does to their hair.  

Also you have to come up with your own schedule for clarifying, some need to do it every other week.  I always use a low-poo and no heavy butters, so I will do it less than once a month.

Here is an interesting article about oil and hair:  http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2013/06/oils-which-ones-soak-in-vs-coat-hair.html
    2b, 2c,
    High Porosity - Very Fine Hair

Low Poo: Living Proof Restore Shampoo
    Rinse Out: Living Proof Restore Conditioner
    Leave In: Living Proof Curl Leave-In or Garnier 1 Minute Mask - Papaya
    Treatments: Restore Repair Leave-In, 
    Styling: Living Proof In-Shower Styler with Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Gel Stronger Hold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file