Hair Type please? And can someone explain the importance of knowing your hair type!! :)

NatashaDWNatashaDW Registered Users Posts: 34 Curl Novice

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Pretty, shiny hair!  I guess it's in the low 4s.  4A?  4B? 

I don't really know what the big deal is about knowing your curl type.  If you're having problems and want online help, then knowing your porosity, strand thickness and density can help describe your hair to other people, so they can give you more targeted help.  But as for curl type...I'm not sure why it's so important to know.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • NatashaDWNatashaDW Registered Users Posts: 34 Curl Novice
    Guide 65 said:
    Pretty, shiny hair!  I guess it's in the low 4s.  4A?  4B? 

I don't really know what the big deal is about knowing your curl type.  If you're having problems and want online help, then knowing your porosity, strand thickness and density can help describe your hair to other people, so they can give you more targeted help.  But as for curl type...I'm not sure why it's so important to know.
    Thank you love! And I agree with you, I was curious about my type, but I didn't know why it's a big deal, you know? :)

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm guessing 4a, 4b. Hair type is a good starting point. For example ,I followed people on Youtube with my hair type at first to get a sense of products and styling techniques. However, you will soon realize that your hair may not like what the other lady with type 4a,b likes. It's a springboard, but ultimately, you must do whatever your hair likes the most even is it doesn't make sense to other type 4s. I hope this helps and best of luck!
    BrittanyM said:
    I'm guessing 4a, 4b. Hair type is a good starting point. For example ,I followed people on Youtube with my hair type at first to get a sense of products and styling techniques. However, you will soon realize that your hair may not like what the other lady with type 4a,b likes. It's a springboard, but ultimately, you must do whatever your hair likes the most even is it doesn't make sense to other type 4s. I hope this helps and best of luck!
    Thank you so much! And that makes a lot of sense! 
    Here's another pitcure if it helps
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    Gretchen said:
    It's beautiful!  Did you take the Texture Quiz? 

Thank you so much! I JUST took it! It said that I was 4a :) I'm sure that there's more than one texture (especially at my crown, its so curly there!) but I think 4a is a good assumption.
    I have another question- the longer your hair will get, will the texture change? So I actually just cut my hair, when growing it out, will it become less coily and take on something different when it really long?
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    I think it depends on the weight on the curl. My roots are more like 2a but the ends are 2c, 3a because there isn't no weight on them. Our hair type wouldn't necessarily change but the coils and curls may stretch a bit from weight.
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Registered Users Posts: 668 Curl Connoisseur

I think it is a way to categorize. I think that we can get to caught up in that because we may not try products because we think it is for a specific curl type. I think that knowing product ingredients and reactions to your hair is more important. For me, if the product has wheat protein as a primary ingredient will dry out my hair. So regardless it it's made for 3c hair, it won't work well.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
    BrittanyM said:
    I think it depends on the weight on the curl. My roots are more like 2a but the ends are 2c, 3a because there isn't no weight on them. Our hair type wouldn't necessarily change but the coils and curls may stretch a bit from weight.
    That makes a lot of sense! Thank you so much!
    Gretchen said:
    Hi Gretchen- sorry to bother again, but can you please remove this post as well? :) Thank you!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file