Help, I lost my curly hair

snackalicioussnackalicious Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
Im new to all of this, but it seems like you guys know whats up, so I come to you with my problem. As a child I had curly hair regardless of the length, but it seemed that the more I grew the more my curls went away. I thought it had to do with the fact that I had lots and lots of hair reaching down past my butt so I let it go. They completely left when I reached 12-13, but again I blamed it on my amount of long hair. This is where I straightened it for 2 years straight until I realized that was the worst thing possible and stopped completely. Eventually my curls started to come back but the way they're coming back is all over the place. My roots are wavy, but the ones surrounding and framing my house are extremely curly while the rest of hair ear down is straight. I truly dont know what to do considering my hair is all over the place. Will they ever come back?I tried to find pictures that sort of reflected my explanation.

Answers

• RimonsileyRimonsiley Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 40 Curl Connoisseur
    As far as I know, curl pattern can change with puberty (or simply due to hormonal change). It is also possible that your hair are just damaged from the straightening (do you have split ends? Are your hair dry, dull, lifeless?) – damaged ends don't recover, they need to be cut off. Anyway I believe it can improve with proper care and some amount of time, so don't loose hope, your curls can grow back, especially if your roots are growing wavy :)
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to CurlTalk!  You'll never get your childhood hair back because you're no longer a child.  Your hair matures along with your entire body.  Then puberty comes along and changes everything!  Just try to work with what you have now, get it into the best condition you can, and see what your curls are capable of now. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Marci PieMarci Pie Registered Users Posts: 668 Curl Connoisseur
    I agree with the posts above. You can achieve great curly hair, maybe not the same as when you were a kid. Your hair will respond to proper care and be beautiful for the type of curls they are today.

3b, Medium-Coarse (slight coarse charactericstics), Normal porosity & Low elasticity per Curl Wizard Profile.
    Low-poo: Nourish Shampoo, Cantu Quinoa Shampoo for Color-Treated Hair, Decadence No Poo
    Co-wash: Nourish Conditioner, Suave, Aussie Moist, Clairol Natural Blends Coconut
    Deep Conditioner: Loreal Total Repair Balm, Cantu Masque
    Leave-in: Nourish Conditioner (Trader Joe's), Decadence Conditioner
    Stylers: LA Looks Sports, Homemade Flax Seed Gel, Devacurl Ultradefining Gel, Coconut Oil
    Methods: Sleep with extra large satin bonnet. Able to get 7 day hair. Prior to getting 7 day:Wet plop or pineapple at night, diffuse in the morning. Scrunch w/joboba, coconut or almond oil.
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Second all the above. If it makes you feel any better, the worst thing you can do is bleach your hair and straighten it everyday... which is what I did when I was your age. Not good. There's no coming back from that, but you have hope. Just treat your hair well. You most likely still have a wave so work with it and not against it. The curly girl method is always a good place to start. Hair does change through puberty, and a good hair cut can do wonders. Best of luck!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file